Do you want to build a career in the thriving sports management sector? If yes, this article will be of help to you. Here, I’ve listed some of the best sports management courses available in India.
What is sports management? What are the tasks performed by sports management professionals? You’ll find answers to these questions in the next paragraph.
Sports management is primarily about planning, arranging, managing and carrying our sport activities, events and games. It is a broad field and covers the following activities –
- Finance management
- HR management
- Event management
The sports management team looks after stadium arrangements, broadcasting rights, promotional activities, finance and budget planning, marketing activities etc. In short, the success of the event rests on their shoulders (to a great extent).
Some of the courses mentioned in this article are undergraduate level academic programs. Such courses can be pursued after completing 12th.
Some other courses mentioned in this article are postgraduate level academic programs. Such courses can be pursued after completing a Bachelor’s Degree course.
Broadly speaking, there are four types of sports management courses available in India. They are –
- Bachelor’s Degree courses
- Master’s Degree courses
- PG Diploma courses
- Doctoral Degree course
Let us check out each type of course –
1 Bachelor’s Degree courses
- BA in Sports Management
- BBA in Sports Management
- Bachelor of Sports Management
2 Master’s Degree courses
- MA in Sports Management
- MBA in Sports Management
- MBA in Sports Business
- Master of Sports Management
3 Postgraduate Diploma courses
- PG Diploma in Sports Business
- PG Diploma in Sports Management
4 Doctoral Degree course
- PhD in Sports Management
- Bachelor’s Degree courses can be pursued after completing 12th.
- Master’s Degree and PGDM courses can be pursued after completing Bachelor’s Degree program.
- Doctoral Degree course can be pursued after completing relevant Master’s level course.
Colleges and Syllabus
IISM, NASM and Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and some of the well known institutes offering sports management courses in India. Important subjects covered in sports management curriculum include –
- Principles of sports management
- Sports management and entrepreneurship
- Allied subjects (related to sports)
- Communication Skills
- PR Management
- HR Management
- Marketing Management
- Finance Management
- Sports Event Management
- Advertising and promotion
Career prospects and job opportunities
After completing the course, one may get hired by –
- Sports franchises
- Sports leagues
- Sports teams
- Sports merchandise manufacturers (Nike, Adidas, Reebok etc)
- Event management firms
- Sports broadcasters
- Sports management MNCs
In the above mentioned setups, one may take on the following roles –
- HR manager
- Event manager
- Finance manager
- PR manager