Hi readers! In this post, I’ve listed down some of the best Production Engineering courses available in India. Apart from that, I’ve also provided details such as – course duration, eligibility criteria, scope and career prospects.
Article Overview and Contents
In India, Production Engineering courses are available at the following levels –
- UG (Undergraduate)
- PG (Postgraduate)
- Doctoral Degree
UG stands for undergraduate level. This level consists of the following course formats –
- Diploma courses (Technical)
- B.E. or B.Tech. programs
- B.Sc. or BS programs
PG stands for postgraduate level. This level consists of the following course formats –
- PG Diploma courses (Technical)
- M.E. or M.Tech. programs
- M.S. or M.Sc. programs
- PG Certification programs
Doctoral Degree programs consists of relevant PhD programs.
This list consists of courses belonging to each of the level mentioned above. In short, this list will be of use to 10th pass, 12th pass, Engineering graduates as well as Postgraduate candidates.
Before heading to the meat of the matter – Production Engineering courses in India – let us check out some basic details about this domain. What is production engineering? What’s it like to become a production engineer? What is the scope and potential associated with this domain? You will find answers to these questions in the next section –
Production Engineering: Introduction and Scope
In simple terms, production engineering is the design, development, implementation, operation, maintenance and control of all the processes in the manufacture of a product.
Production Engineering is also known as manufacturing engineering. As the name suggests, this discipline deals with multiple aspects that are directly and indirectly related to manufacturing process.
It is a multidisciplinary field. It consists of elements belonging to the following domains –
- Manufacturing Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Management Science
Why is Production Engineering so important, you may ask. Why should manufacturing technology rely on management science?
Production management is very important to a manufacturing firm. It helps keep costs under control, it helps improve production, it helps maintain quality of the product without increasing the cost of production. Also check – Engineering courses after 12th.
In short, production engineering offers monetary benefits as well as advantage in terms of productivity and quality of the product! This is the main reason why manufacturing firms have a core production engineering team and system!
How is a production manager able to pull off these feats, you may ask. He/she uses the following techniques pull it off –
- Operation research
- Materials management
- Production planning
- Manufacturing system design
- And more…
Production is not a simple process. A production process can easily run into obstacles and wide variety of problems. A skilled production engineer is capable of applying management science to production processes and solve these problems. Also check – Diploma courses after 12th and 10th.
There are many areas, industries and operations, where principles of production engineering can be applied. Some such notable areas are –
- Automobile manufacturing
- Electrical goods manufacturing
- Machine design and manufacturing
- Manufacturing engineering
- Industrial engineering
- And more…
Let us check out the list of courses now. Here it is –
List of production engineering courses in India
1 Undergraduate courses (after 10th and/or 12th)
- Diploma in Production Engineering
- Diploma in Industrial and Production Engineering
- Diploma in Production Technology
- B.E. or B.Tech in Production Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. in Industrial and Production Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. in Production Technology
- B.E. or B.Tech. in Manufacturing Technology
2 Postgraduate courses (after Graduation)
- PG Diploma in Production Engineering
- PG Diploma in Manufacturing Technology
- PG Diploma in Industrial and Production Engineering
- M.E. or M.Tech in Production Engineering
- M.E. or M.Tech. in Industrial and Production Engineering
- M.E. or M.Tech. in Production Technology
- M.E. or M.Tech. in Manufacturing Technology
- M.Sc. or MS in Production Technology
3 Doctoral Degree courses (after Master’s Degree)
- PhD in Production Engineering
- PhD in Manufacturing Technology
- PhD in Industrial and Production Engineering
- Diploma in Engineering courses: Passed 10th standard with Science, Maths and English subjects.
- B.E. or B.Tech. courses: Passed 12th Science with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects.
- PG courses: Completed relevant Bachelor’s Degree course.
- Doctoral Degree courses: Completed relevant Master’s Degree course.
- Diploma in Engineering courses: 3 years (6 semesters)
- B.E. or B.Tech. courses: 4 years (8 semesters)
- PG Diploma courses: 1-2 years
- M.E. or M.Tech. courses: 2 years (4 semesters)
Production Engineers have access to diverse job opportunities. They have access to Government sector jobs, private jobs as well as self-employment.
They may find work at any firm, industry or company where production or manufacturing is involves. Some of the popular firms are –
- Automobile manufacturing firms
- Electrical goods manufacturing firms
- Machine manufacturing firms
- And more…
Starting salary of a production engineer depends upon factors such as –
- His/her academic qualification (UG/PG)
- Profile of the employer (Government or Private)
- Job location
- His/her academic performance
- The college he/she studied in
Based on these factors, starting salary could vary from one individual to another. On an average, it could be anywhere between 30-45K INR per month.