Have you passed 10th or 12th standard? Are you interested in pursuing a good Polytechnic course? If yes, this article will be of help to you. Here, I’ve listed down some of the best Polytechnic courses for 10th and 12th passed students.
There are two types of Polytechnic Colleges in India. They are –
- Government Polytechnic Colleges
- Self Financed (Private) Polytechnic Colleges
No matter which state you belong to, you will always be able to find Polytechnic Colleges in all major districts! Such Polytechnic Colleges are a boon for students who are interested in securing a job (quickly).
Article Overview and Contents
In India, Polytechnic Colleges are known to provide job oriented Diploma courses. These Diploma courses can be classified into two types. They are –
- Technical Diploma courses (Diploma in Engineering)
- Non-Technical Diploma courses
First of all, let us check out the exhaustive list of Polytechnic courses, which are very popular among Indian students. Here they are –
List of top Polytechnic Courses in India
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Science Engineering
- Diploma in IT Engineering
- Diploma in IC Engineering
- Diploma in EC Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Diploma in Petroleum Engineering
- Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
- Diploma in Aerospace Engineering
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Mining Engineering
- Diploma in Biotechnology Engineering
- Diploma in Genetic Engineering
- Diploma in Plastics Engineering
- Diploma in Food Processing and Technology
- Diploma in Agricultural Engineering
- Diploma in Dairy Technology and Engineering
- Agricultural Information Technology
- Diploma in Power Engineering
- Diploma in Production Engineering
- Diploma in Infrastructure Engineering
- Diploma in Motorsport Engineering
- Diploma in Metallurgy Engineering
- Diploma in Textile Engineering
- Diploma in Environmental Engineering
The minimum qualification required to pursue the above mentioned Polytechnic courses is – 10th passed from a recognized board. 12th passed students are also eligible to pursue these programs. Also check – complete list of courses after 12th.
The duration of Polytechnic courses mentioned above is – 3 years.
As I mentioned before, there are two main types of Polytechnic Colleges in India. They are –
- Government Polytechnics
- SF (Self Financed) Polytechnics
Polytechnic courses are job oriented in nature. They are well known for providing employment to masses. Due to this very reason, you will be able to find them in each major district across all states in India.
Government, reputed and established Polytechnic Colleges conduct merit based admission process. They accept deserving candidates, who have scored valid marks in relevant entrance exam (like Polycet). Also check – Science courses after 12th.
Government Polytechnic Colleges are known to charge a nominal tuition fees. Usually it is around 2-5K INR per year. SF Polytechnic Colleges are known to charge relatively higher fees. It usually varies from one institute to another!
On an average, it could be anywhere around 10-30K INR per year. This figure may vary though! Readers should check out the institute’s brochure/website to find out the exact tuition fees.
Apart from tuition fees, other expenses such as canteen fees, hostel fees, uniform fees, lab fees etc may also apply.
After completing any of the above mentioned polytechnic course, you may secure admission directly into the second academic year of relevant B.E. or B.Tech. program! This admission system is called lateral entry!
It is now time to find out basic details about few select Polytechnic courses. Here they are –
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
The academic program is 3 years long. This course deals with mechanical engineering. The course covers topics such as – working of machine, theory of machine, thermodynamics, physics, engineering graphics etc.
After completing this course, you may use lateral entry and pursue B.E. or B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering
This academic program is 3 years long. It primarily deals with aspects such as – generation and transmission of electricity, electric circuits, transformers etc. Electrical engineers may pursue Master’s Degree in fields such as CS, EC, Large Scale Integrated Circuits etc.
After completing this course, you may use lateral entry and pursue B.E. or B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering/Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
Diploma in Civil Engineering
This academic program is 3 years long. It primarily deals with aspects such as – planning, construction and maintenance of buildings and other physical structures (bridges, roads, canals, dams etc).
After completing this course, you may use lateral entry and pursue B.E. or B.Tech. in Civil Engineering.
Diploma in Computer Engineering
This academic program is 3 years long. It primarily deals with various aspects of Computer Science. The curriculum covers topics such as – computer hardware, software and programming.
After completing this course, you may use lateral entry and pursue B.E. or B.Tech. in Computer Engineering/BCA.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering
This academic program is 3 years long. It primarily deals with aspects such as – chemical reaction, chemical processes and production of various types of chemicals.
After completing this course, you may use lateral entry and pursue B.E. or B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering.
Diploma in EC Engineering
EC stands for Electronics and Communication. This academic program is 3 years long. It deals with aspects such as – electronic systems, equipment, communication systems, electromagnetic waves etc.
After completing this course, you may use lateral entry and pursue B.E. or B.Tech. in EC Engineering/Electronics Engineering.