Do you want to pursue a job oriented pharmacy course? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve listed down some of the best pharmacy colleges in Odisha. Both students and parents may use this guide to simplify their pharmacy admission process.
This post will be of help to 12th pass students as well as graduates. In this post, you will find the names of pharmacy colleges in Odisha. Apart from that, you will also find other notable facts and details such as – duration, eligibility, scope and admission process.
Odisha is home to some reputed pharmacy colleges in India. B.Pharm., M.Pharm., Pharm D, Diploma in Pharmacy – these are some of the best pharmacy courses available in India. Pharmacy institutes in Odisha are known to offer these academic programs.
Why choose pharmacy, you may ask. What’s the scope and potential associated with this sector? What is it like to become a pharmacist? Will I get a good job after completing pharmacy education? You will find answers to these questions in the next section.
Pharmacy: Profession, scope & jobs
In simple terms, pharmacy is the science and technique of preparing and dispensing drugs. This discipline is a part of health science. It consists of elements of chemistry, health science and healthcare.
Pharmacists are professionals who optimize the use of medication for the benefit of the patients. He/she is capable of performing tasks such as – observing prescription form made by the Doctor, dispensing drugs, patient education (providing drug information to patients/relatives) etc. Based on his/her academic qualification, a pharmacist may even provide clinical services or review medication (for ensuring safety and efficacy).
What’s the first thing that comes to your mind while talking about pharmacy? Medical shops? Or a chemist dispensing drugs at the local medical store? This profession has got more to it than dispensing drugs!
Pharmacists may involve in tasks such as – dispensing drugs, marketing drugs, R&D, manufacturing drugs, drug therapy, reviewing medications and providing clinical services. The tasks, which a pharmacist is eligible to perform, depends upon his/her academic qualification. For example – in order to build a career in R&D sector, you must possess Master’s Degree or PhD in pharmacy.
Will I get a good job after completing this course, you may ask. The answer to this question depends upon factors such as – your academic qualification, your aptitude, performance in college etc.
This sector generates ample amount of job opportunities. Government jobs, private sector jobs, self-employment – pharmacy graduates have access to different types of job profiles and opportunities.
Let us check out the list of courses now. Here it is –
Looking from academic level’s point of view, pharmacy courses in Odisha can be classified into the following levels –
- Doctoral Degree
Looking from course format’s point of view, pharmacy courses in Odisha can be classified into the following formats –
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree
- PG Diploma
- PG Certificate
Let us take a closer look at the popular pharmacy courses –
Diploma in Pharmacy: This Diploma certificate course is 3 years long. Students who have passed 12th class are eligible to pursue this course.
Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm.): This is a UG level course. Technically, it is a Bachelor’s Degree course. The academic program is 4 years long. Students who have passed 12th Science stream are eligible to pursue this course. Check out this guide for more details – B.Pharm.
Pharm D: Pharm D stands for Doctor of Pharmacy. 12th Science pass students are eligible to pursue this course. This is a UG level academic program. The course duration is 6 years.
Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm.): This is a PG level course. Technically, it is a Master’s Degree course. Students who have completed relevant Bachelor’s Degree course (like B.Pharm.) are eligible to pursue this course. The course duration is 2 years. M.Pharm. program can be used to specialize in sub-branches within the field of pharmacy.
Types of pharmacy colleges
Pharmacy colleges in Odisha can be classified into the following types –
- Government colleges
- Aided colleges
- Private colleges
List of pharmacy colleges in Odisha 2020
Here are some of the popular pharmacy colleges in Odisha –
- Pharmacy Wing, SCB Medical College, Cuttack, Odisha
- College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Berhampur, Odisha
- College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Puri, Odisha
- Gayatri College of Pharmacy, Sambalpur, Odisha
- Herbal Cross Institute of Pharmacy, Cuttack, Odisha
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Institute of Medical Technology, Puri, Odisha
- Institute of Pharmacy and Technology, Cuttack, Odisha
- Jeypore College of Pharmacy, Koraput, Odisha
- Kanaka Manjari Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Rourkela, Odisha
- Maa Mangala College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mayurbhanj, Odisha
- Mayurbhanj Medical Academy, Mayurbhanj, Odisha
- Maruti Pharmacy College, Bargarh, Odisha
- Orissa College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dhenkanal, Odisha
- Om Sai College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Ganjam, Odisha
- Pranabandhu Institute of Paramedical Sciences and Technology, Angul, Odisha
- Patitapabana Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Roland Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Berhampur, Odisha
- Royal College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Berhampur, Odisha
- Seemanta Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mayurbhanj, Odisha
- Sidheswar College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Balasore, Odisha
- Sri Jayadev College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Khurda, Odisha
- Sivananda College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Berhampur, Odisha
- The College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Khurda, Odisha
- The Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technology, Cuttack, Odisha
- The Pharmaceutical College, Bargarh, Odisha
- Gayatri Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Rayagada, Odisha
- Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Balasore, Odisha
- Dadhichi College of Pharmacy, Cuttack, Odisha
- Hi-Tech College of Pharmacy, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Gajapati College of Pharmacy, Gajapati, Odisha
- Kalinga Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Balasore, Odisha
- Balakrushna College of Pharmacy, Nuapada, Odisha
Reputed institutes follow merit based admission process. If you want a Government seat or admission into reputed private colleges, you must crack relevant entrance exam. Seats are allotted to deserving candidates on the basis of merit marks scored by them in relevant entrance exam and/or board exam. Some colleges are also known to conduct direct and donation based admission process.