This article focuses on the topic – paramedical courses after 12th. Paramedical courses are job oriented academic programs. You will find a list of such courses here.
12th Science Biology group students usually set courses like MBBS, BDS, BAMS, Nursing, B.V.Sc., Pharmacy and BHMS as their prime targets. Other than these courses, they are also eligible to pursue some other courses that fall under the category of ‘paramedical courses’.
Paramedical courses are usually related to the allied healthcare sector. These courses are just as useful and job oriented as the courses directly related to the field of healthcare (nursing, medicine and pharmacy). You may also check – NEET UG exam.
Paramedical courses trains students and turns them into skilled and qualified allied healthcare workers and technicians. Along with Doctors and Nurses, allied healthcare workers also play an integral role in the smooth functioning of the healthcare industry in India.
The demand for allied healthcare workers is on the rise in India. They are also in huge demand abroad, where their pay package is much better than what it is in India.
Depending upon the type of the course, both 10th and 12th passed students are eligible to pursue paramedical courses in India. Let us check out the main types of paramedical courses available in India –
Types of paramedical courses in India
The 3 main types of paramedical courses available in India are –
List of Paramedical courses after 12th –
1 Top Bachelor’s Degree paramedical courses
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- B.Sc. in OTT (Operation Theatre Technology)
- B.Sc. in Dialysis Technology
- B.Sc. in MLT (Medical Lab Technology)
- B.Sc. in X-Ray Technology
- B.Sc. in Radiography
- B.Sc. in Medical Imaging Technology
- B.Sc. in Medical Record Technology
- B.Sc. in Ophthalmic Technology
- B.Sc. in Audiology and Speech Therapy
- B.Sc. in Optometry
- B.Sc. in Anaesthesia Technology
Duration & Eligibility: The above mentioned Bachelor’s Degree courses are usually 3 years long. Some academic programs are 4 years long (theory + practical training).
Usually students who have passed 10+2 Science stream with Biology subject are eligible to pursue the above mentioned courses. Exceptions do exist though!
2 Top Diploma paramedical courses
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
- Diploma in Occupational Therapy
- DOTT (Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology)
- Diploma in Dialysis Technology
- DMLT (Diploma in Medical Lab Technology)
- Diploma in X-Ray Technology
- Diploma in Radiography
- Diploma in Medical Imaging Technology
- Diploma in Medical Record Technology
- Diploma in Nursing Care Assistant
- Diploma in Ophthalmic Technology
- DHLS (Diploma in Hearing Language and Speech)
- Diploma in Anaesthesia Technology
- Diploma in Dental Hygienist
- Diploma in Rural Health Care
- Diploma in Community Health Care
Duration & Eligibility: Diploma courses could last anywhere between 1-3 years. Diploma courses can usually be pursued by students who have passed 12th and 10th (depends upon the institute and the nature of the academic program).
3 Top Certificate paramedical courses
- Certificate in X-Ray Technician
- Certificate in Lab Assistant/Technician
- Certificate in Dental Assistant
- Certificate in Operation Theatre Assistant
- Certificate in Nursing Care Assistant
- Certificate in ECG and CT Scan Technician
- Certificate in Dialysis Technician
- Certificate in Home Based Health Care
- Certificate in Rural Health Care
- Certificate in HIV and Family Education
- Certificate in Nutrition and Childcare
Duration & Eligibility: Certificate paramedical courses could last anywhere between 6 months to 2 years. 10th pass is usually the minimum qualification required to pursue such courses (depends upon the institute and the nature of the academic program).
You may also check –
Apart from the above mentioned undergraduate level paramedical courses, there also exists PG Diploma, PG Certificate as well as PG Degree courses in India. PG paramedical courses can be pursued after completing a relevant undergraduate academic program.