In India, there exists different types of nursing courses. B.Sc. Nursing is the most popular nursing course. Are you interested in pursuing this course? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve listed down some of the best nursing colleges in West Bengal.
Nursing is a very popular choice among 12th Science PCB group students. This group is popularly known as Biology group.
In this post, you will find the names of popular nursing colleges in West Bengal. Other than that, you will also find relevant information such as – list of nursing courses, their duration, eligibility criteria, admission process, career prospects and scope.
Both students and parents may use this guide as reference material. Here, you will find all the details that you need to know about nursing education in West Bengal. This guide will simplify your nursing admission process and college selection.
A good nursing college should have adequate infrastructure, amenities and quality faculty at its disposal. The college should give adequate practical training to its students.
Come, let us check out the list of best nursing colleges in West Bengal. Here it is –
List of nursing colleges in West Bengal 2019
Here are some of the popular nursing colleges in West Bengal –
- West Bengal Government College of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- West Bengal University of Health Sciences, Kolkata, West Bengal
- School of Nursing, Nursing Training School, Kolkata, West Bengal
- IPGMER, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Aliah University, Kolkata, West Bengal
- All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Asia Heart Foundation College of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Calcutta Nursing Training Institute, Kolkata, West Bengal
- AG Nursing College, Kolkata, West Bengal
- DINPS, Durgapur, West Bengal
- Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal
- RSMMB School of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Haldia Institute of Nursing Science, Midnapore, West Bengal
- BM Birla College of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- School of Nursing, Woodlands Multispeciality Hospital Limited, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Charnock Institute of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Mercy School of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- School of Nursing, Ruby General Hospital College, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Maa Sarada College of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Calcutta Institute of Nursing and Paramedical Science, Kolkata, West Bengal
- AMRI School of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Peerless College of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Shova Rani Nursing College, Jadavpur, West Bengal
- SASK School of Nursing, Kolkata, West Bengal
- RMSP School of Nursing College, Kolkata, West Bengal
Types of nursing colleges
Nursing colleges in West Bengal can be classified into three main types –
- Government nursing colleges
- Private nursing colleges
- Aided nursing colleges
As you can see, each type of college is owned by a separate entity! For example – Government colleges are governed by the Government (State). Similarly, private colleges are managed by private charitable trusts and organizations. Aided colleges are basically private institutes. But they receive partial funding and support from the State Government.
Government colleges are very popular among nursing applicants. This is due to the fact that these colleges charge very low tuition fees. Private colleges, on the other hand, charge relatively higher tuition fees.
Nursing admission in West Bengal is carried out through merit admission process. Under this system, merit marks scored by students in relevant entrance exam and/or board exam is evaluated. Seats are allotted among students on the basis of their merit marks. If you want a Government or merit seat, you must score well in relevant entrance exam. Some colleges are also known to conduct direct and donation based admission process.
Here are some of the popular nursing courses in India –
ANM: It stands for Auxiliary Nursing and Midwifery. Technically, it is a Diploma course. The course duration is around 2 years.
GNM: It stands for General Nursing and Midwifery. Technically, it is a Diploma course. The course duration is around 3.5 years.
B.Sc. Nursing: It is a Bachelor of Science program. The academic program is 4 years long. Students who have passed 12th Science with PCB subjects are eligible to pursue this course.
B.Sc. Nursing (Post Basic): This program is just like lateral entry. The course duration is 2 years. Candidates who have completed relevant Diploma course are eligible to pursue this course
M.Sc. Nursing: It is a Master’s Degree course. Students who have completed B.Sc. Nursing or B.Sc. Nursing (PB) are eligible to pursue this course. The academic program is 2 years long.
The above mentioned courses can be classified into the following types (on the basis of academic level) –
- Doctoral Degree
Based on the course format, these courses can be categorized into the following types –
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree
- PG Diploma
- PG Certification
After completing nursing education, candidates may find work at establishments such as – hospitals, clinics, other healthcare institutes, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, NGOs, community health centers, Armed forces etc. Nurses have access to both Government and Private sector job opportunities.
Nurses form an integral part of healthcare system. Skilled nurses are in huge demand (in India and abroad). Abroad, the salary will be much higher than what it is in India. In order to thrive in this profession, one must possess qualities such as – caring attitude, nursing skills and knowledge, eye for detail, ability to work in team, ability to handle patients and their family, good communication skills, willingness to work at odd hours/for long periods of time. Here’s the list of nursing colleges in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Gujarat & Odisha.