B.Sc. Nursing, ANM, GNM, M.Sc. Nursing – these are some of the popular nursing courses available in Odisha. Nursing colleges are known to offer these courses. This post will be of help to nursing aspirants. Here, I’ve listed down some of the best nursing colleges in Odisha.
Government, Private and Aided – I’ve covered different types of nursing colleges in this post. Apart from the names of colleges, you will also find other details such as – relevant nursing courses, eligibility, duration and admission process.
In short, this post will clear all of your doubts regarding nursing education in Odisha. Colleges, courses and admission – we’ve got you covered in all these aspects. The main aim of this post is to educate and inform students about nursing institutes and courses. Both students and parents may use this guide to simplify nursing admission process.
Why choose nursing, you may ask. You will find answer to this question in the next section –
Why choose nursing?
Nursing is a very popular choice among 12th Science Biology group students. Why is nursing so popular, you may ask.
To start with, nursing is a well rewarding profession. There’s huge demand for skilled nurses out there. Both in India and abroad, nurses have access to ample amount of job opportunities.
Abroad, the salary is much higher than what it is in India. In short, when it comes to nursing profession, there’s no dearth of job opportunities.
This profession also provides job satisfaction. As part of this profession, you will interact closely with patients. You will play a huge role in treatment of patients. Bringing relief to a person will give you job satisfaction.
Besides that, 12th passed students also have access to different types of nursing courses. B.Sc. Nursing, B.Sc. Nursing (Post Basic), ANM, GNM – these are some of the popular undergraduate level nursing courses available in Odisha.
Availability of different types of courses sure does attract students towards this profession. Moreover, numerous nursing colleges have sprouted in Odisha in the past few years. This means that students stand a great chance of securing admission into nursing programs.
It is time to check out the different types of nursing courses available in Odisha. In the next section, you will find the list of popular nursing courses. Apart from the names of courses, you will also find relevant information such as – eligibility and duration.
Types of nursing courses
In Odisha, nursing courses belonging to the following academic levels are available –
- Doctoral Degree
UG stands for undergraduate level. PG stands for postgraduate level. Doctoral Degree courses are research oriented programs.
Looking from course format’s point of view, nursing courses can be classified as follows –
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree
- PG Diploma
- PG Certification
Let us take a closer look at some of the popular programs –
ANM: It stands for Auxiliary Nursing and Midwifery. Technically, it is a Diploma course. The course duration is around 2 years.
GNM: It stands for General Nursing and Midwifery. Technically, it is a Diploma course. The course duration is around 3.5 years.
B.Sc. Nursing: It is a Bachelor of Science program. The academic program is 4 years long. Students who have passed 12th Science with PCB subjects are eligible to pursue this course.
B.Sc. Nursing (Post Basic): This program is just like lateral entry. The course duration is 2 years. Candidates who have completed relevant Diploma course are eligible to pursue this course
M.Sc. Nursing: It is a Master’s Degree course. Students who have completed B.Sc. Nursing or B.Sc. Nursing (PB) are eligible to pursue this course. The academic program is 2 years long.
Types of colleges
In Odisha, there exists three main types of nursing colleges. They are –
- Government colleges
- Private colleges
- Aided colleges
Government colleges, as the name suggests, are managed by the State Government. Private colleges are also known as self-financing colleges. These colleges are managed and funded by private charitable trusts and organizations. Aided colleges are private institutes. But they receive partial funding and support from the Government.
Let us check out the list of colleges now. Here it is –
List of nursing colleges in Odisha 2020
Here are some of the popular nursing colleges in Odisha –
- Government College of Nursing, Berhampur, Odisha
- Government College of Nursing, Cuttack, Odisha
- SUM Nursing College, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Lord Jagannath Mission’s College of Nursing, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Neelachal Institute of Medical Science, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Sushree Institute of Technical Education, Bolangir, Odisha
- VISWAS College of Nursing, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Hi-Tech School of Nursing, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Gajapati College of Nursing, Gajapati, Odisha
- Jagannath Institute of Medical Science and Research, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Sri Vidya Niketan College of Medical Science and Research, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Capital Academy of Nursing, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Mother’s Nursing School, Khurda, Odisha
- Manjaridevi College and School of Nursing, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- BIMT, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Sarala Institute of Nursing, Cuttack, Odisha
- Gopabandhu Institute of Medical Science and Research, Cuttack, Odisha
- Raman School of Nursing, Keonjhar, Odisha
- Sri Jagannath School of Nursing, Naupada, Odisha
- Susila Devi School of Nursing, Naupada, Odisha
- Seva School of Nursing, Angul, Odisha
- Saraswati School of Nursing, Puri, Odisha
- Sanjog School of Nursing, Mayurbhanja, Odisha
- School of Nursing, Burla, Odisha
- Nursing Training Institute, Rourkela, Odisha
- School of Nursing, Talcher, Odisha
- Kalinga Nursing School, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- School of Nursing, KIIT, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Mahavir School of Nursing, Cuttack, Odisha
- New Hope Society School of Nursing, Berhampur, Odisha
In order to secure admission into Government/Reputed private colleges, one must crack relevant entrance exam. Seats are distributed among deserving candidates on the basis of merit marks scored by them in relevant entrance exam and/or board exam. Some colleges are also known to conduct direct and donation based admission process.