In this article, we will have an in-depth analysis of M.Sc. in Library and Information Science (M.Sc.L.I.Sc.) course. It is an advanced (Master’s level) course related to the field of library and information science. This article covers topics such as- course details, duration, eligibility criteria, admission process and career prospects.
|Course Name:||M.Sc. in Library and Information Science|
|Course Duration:||2 years|
|Eligibility Criteria:||Graduate in any discipline|
Let us check out the course details up close –
M.Sc. in Library and Information Science Course Details
Type of course
It is a Master’s level academic program.
The course is 2 years long. The academic program is usually divided into four semesters. Each semester lasts for a period of 6 months.
Passed any Bachelor’s Degree course from a recognized University or Institute.
Reputed institutes follow merit based admission process. Academic performance of candidate is taken into account, when it comes to merit based admission process. Some institutes are also known to conduct their own qualification test, entrance test or selection interview.
If you want to know more about the syllabus and course structure, you may check out the list of important subjects given below –
- Information Sources and Services
- Information Processing
- Basics of Library and Information Science
- Applications of IT in Library and Information Science
- Information Storage and Retrieval
- Information Centre and Library Management
- Research Methodology
- Electronic Information Sources
List of common recruiters –
- Libraries (Government, private as well as community managed)
- Academic institutions (Schools, Colleges and Universities)
- Special Libraries
- Foreign Embassies
- News agencies
- Museums and Galleries
- Information centres
- Private organizations and companies
In the above mentioned work setups, librarians may don any of the following roles –
- Chief Librarian/Librarian
- Assistant Librarian
- Library Attendant
- Records Manager
- Junior Librarian
- Law Librarian