Have you passed 12th Science with PCB subjects? Are you interested in MBBS admission? If yes, this post will be of help to you. In this post, I’ve listed down some of the best medical colleges in West Bengal. Government, aided and private – I’ve covered different types of medical colleges in this post.
Each year, hundreds of thousands of students take part in medical admission process. MBBS is the most popular choice among 12th science biology group students. But not all of them realize the dream of pursuing MBBS though!
On analyzing medical admission data, one will find that Government medical colleges are the most popular colleges among West Bengal students. Government colleges are followed by aided and private institutes.
In this post, you will find the names of popular medical colleges in West Bengal. Apart from the names of colleges, you will also find additional details such as – MBBS course details, duration, eligibility, scope, career prospects and more.
In short, this post covers almost everything that you need to know about medical education in West Bengal. Colleges, admission process, career prospects – I’ve covered all the important details here.
Let us check out the list of colleges now. Here it is –
List of medical colleges in West Bengal 2019
Here are some of the popular medical colleges in West Bengal –
- Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal
- RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Malda Medical College and Hospital, Malda, West Bengal
- Nil Ratan Sarkar Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal
- College of Medicine and Sagor Dutta Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Murshidabad Medical College and Hospital, Murshidabad, West Bengal
- Midnapur Medical College, Medinipur, West Bengal
- ESIC Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal
- North Bengal Medical College, Darjeeling, West Bengal
- Burdwan Medical College, Bardhaman, West Bengal
- Bankura Sammilani Medical College, Bankura, West Bengal
- IPGMER, Kolkata, West Bengal
- KPC Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal
- College of Medicine and JNM Hospital, Kalyani, West Bengal
- ICARE Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Medinipur, West Bengal
- IQ City Medical College, Burdwan, West Bengal
Types of medical colleges
The above mentioned list consists of three main types of colleges. They are –
- Government medical colleges
- Aided medical colleges
- Private medical colleges
This classification has been carried out on the basis of the entity that owns/manages the institute. For example – Government medical colleges are run by the Government (State or Central). Private medical colleges are run by private charitable trusts/organizations/bodies. Aided colleges are private institutes. But they receive support from the Government.
Why do students prefer Govt colleges over other institutes?
Medical admission data shows that applicants prefer Government medical colleges over other types of institutes. It is due to the fact that Government medical colleges charge very low tuition fees.
Since these colleges are run by the Government, their expenses too are met and managed by the Government. As a result, students studying in these colleges get subsidized education.
On the other hand, private medical colleges charge high tuition fees. This sum is beyond the reach of many students and their families.
MBBS: Course details
MBBS is the most popular medical course in India. It stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery. It is an undergraduate level Bachelor’s Degree course. The academic program is 5½ years long.
Students who have completed 12th science with PCB subjects are eligible to pursue this course. The academic program consists of one year internship stint.
After completing MBBS course, graduates may register with the Medical council and start practice. They may even apply for private and government sector jobs.
Majority of the graduates go for higher education though. They prepare for PG entrance tests such as NEET PG. After cracking relevant tests, they go on to pursue PG courses such as MD, MS, PG Diploma programs etc. These PG courses help them specialize in different areas of medical education (such as dermatology, pediatrics, surgery etc).
Reputed institutes rely on merit based admission process. Medical entrance tests decide the outcome of admission process. Students who perform well in these tests get Government medical seats and other merit seats. Some colleges are also known to carry out donation based admission process. You may also check the list of MBBS colleges and seats in Kerala, Karnataka, Odisha, Maharashtra & Gujarat.