MBBS is the most popular choice among 12th Science Biology group students. In this post, I’ve listed down some of the best medical colleges in Tamil Nadu. Both students and parents may use this guide to choose the best medical college.
As I mentioned before, MBBS is the most popular medical course in India. Each year, hundreds of thousands of students take part in relevant medical entrance exam (like NEET).
Out of this, only a handful of them manage to realize their dream of pursuing MBBS. It is a point worth noting that students prefer Government medical colleges over aided and private medical colleges.
Why so, you may ask. In order to understand the reason behind this trend, we must know more about the different types of medical colleges in Tamil Nadu. You will find all the details in the next section –
Types of medical colleges in Tamil Nadu
There exists three main types of medical colleges in Tamil Nadu. They are –
- Government medical colleges
- Private medical colleges
- Aided medical colleges
Let us take a closer look at each type of college –
As the name suggests, Government medical colleges are owned and managed by the state Government. A designated body (working under the Government) takes care of activities pertaining to the college such as administration, recruitment, funding, admission etc.
Since the Government bears all the expense, these colleges are able to provide subsidized education to its students. These colleges charge very low tuition fees. This is the main reason why students prefer Government medical colleges over other institutes.
Private medical colleges are also known as self financing colleges. These colleges are managed and funded by private charitable trusts and organizations. They charge high tuition fees. Fees may run into few lakh INR per academic year.
Aided colleges are technically private institutes. But they receive partial funding and help from the Government. Their tuition fees is lesser than that of self financing colleges, but it is higher than that of Government colleges.
Now that we’ve dealt with the different types of medical colleges, it is time to find out more details about different types of medical courses offered by these colleges. In the next section, you will find all the details –
Medical courses in TN
Medical colleges in Tamil Nadu offer different types of courses. Based on the academic level, these courses can be classified into the following groups –
- UG level courses
- PG level courses
- Doctoral Degree courses
UG level stands for undergraduate level. MBBS course falls under this category. This course can be pursued by students who have passed 12th Science with PCB subjects.
PG level stands for postgraduate level. MS, MD and PG Diploma courses fall under this category. These programs can be pursued by students who have completed MBBS.
PhD is an example of Doctoral Degree course. This is a research based program. It can be pursued by candidates who have completed relevant Master’s Degree course.
As I mentioned before, MBBS is the most popular medical course in TN. In the next section, you will find basic details about this academic program –
MBBS stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. It is an undergraduate level medical course. After completing this course and registering with the Medical Council, a candidate may use the title of Dr (Medical Doctor). The academic program is 5½ years long. One year of this program is dedicated towards compulsory internship.
It is time to check out the list of colleges. Here it is –
List of medical colleges in Tamil Nadu 2019
Here are some of the popular medical colleges in Tamil Nadu –
- Madras Medical College, Tamil Nadu
- Stanley Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Madurai Medical College, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Thanjavur Medical College, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
- Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Chengalpattu Medical College, Chengalpattu, Tamil Nadu
- Tirunelveli Medical College, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
- Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, Salem, Tamil Nadu
- KAP Viswanatham Government Medical College, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu
- Thoothukudi Government Medical College, Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu
- Kanyakumari Medical College, Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu
- Theni Medical College, Theni, Tamil Nadu
- Vellore Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- Dharmapuri Medical College, Dharmapuri, Tamil Nadu
- Villupuram Medical College, Villupuram, Tamil Nadu
- Thiruvarur Medical College, Thiruvarur, Tamil Nadu
- Sivagangai Medical College, Sivagangai, Tamil Nadu
- Thiruvannamalai Medical College, Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu
- PSG Institute of Medical Science and Research Institute, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- IRT Medical College, Perundurai, Tamil Nadu
- Sree Moogambigai Medical College, Kulasekaram, Tamil Nadu
- Karpaga Vinayaka Medical College, Chinnakolambakam, Tamil Nadu
- Sri Muthukumaran Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Karpagam Faculty of Medical Sciences and Research, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan Medical College, Tamil Nadu
- Annapoorna Medical College, Salem, Tamil Nadu
- Velammal Medical College, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Chennai SRM Medical College, Trichy, Tamil Nadu
- Tagore Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Madha Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Do you want to secure admission into the above mentioned colleges? In the next section, you will find everything you need to know about the admission process –
In order to secure admission into Government colleges and reputed private institutes, one must take part in relevant entrance exam. One must also score valid marks in this test to bag a seat.
Seats are distributed among deserving candidates on the basis of merit marks scored by them in relevant entrance exam and/or board examination. Some colleges are also known to conduct donation based admission process.