Do you want to become a Doctor? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve listed down some of the best medical colleges in Maharashtra. Government, Private, Aided – I’ve covered different types of colleges in this post. You may use this guide to find the best college and apply for admission.
Not just students, but their parents may also use this guide. Parents may use the information they find here to guide their ward.
In this post, you will find the names of best medical colleges in Maharashtra. Apart from the names of institutes, you will also find details such as – medical courses, their duration, eligibility criteria and admission process.
In short, this post will educate and inform you about medical colleges, courses, their details and admission process. Why is choosing the best college such an important task, you may ask.
The college you choose will have a telling impact on the path your career. For example, a premier medical college like AFMC will work wonders for your career! Similarly, a mediocre college will bring it with many drawbacks and disadvantages.
How to choose the right college, you may ask. It is not an easy task, but it is not rocket science either! While selecting a college, give attention to these factors – type of college (Govt, aided or private), fees, infrastructure, recognition status, faculty, amenities, labs, support staff etc. If the college fairly satisfies your requirements in these areas, you may apply for admission without worrying.
Do you know why students prefer Government medical colleges over other institutes? You will find answers to this question in the next section. In the next section, you will find everything you need to know about the different types of medical colleges in Maharashtra.
Different types of medical colleges
Depending upon the entity that owns the institute, medical colleges in Maharashtra can be classified into the following types –
- Government medical colleges
- Aided medical colleges
- Private medical colleges
Government medical colleges, as the name suggests, are owned by the state Government. The Government, through an administrative body, takes care of aspects such as funding, recruitment, admission and administration. These colleges are able to provide subsidized education to its students.
Generally speaking, MBBS education in India is costly. But Government colleges provide subsidized education to its students. Since most of the expense is borne by the Government, these colleges charge very low tuition fees. This is the main reason why students prefer Govt medical colleges over other types of institutes.
Technically speaking, aided medical colleges are private institutes. But they get partial funding and support from the Government.
Private medical colleges are also known as self financing colleges. They are owned and managed by private charitable trusts and similar organizations. Since these colleges are privately owned, they charge higher fees.
We’ve dealt with different types of medical colleges. Now it is time to check out the different types of medical courses in Maharashtra. Here’s everything you need to know –
Medical courses in Maharashtra –
Medical colleges in Maharashtra offer courses belonging to UG level, PG level and Doctoral Degree level. UG stands for undergraduate level and PG stands for postgraduate level.
MBBS is probably the most popular medical course in India. It is an undergraduate level medical course. The academic program is 5.5 years long. One year of this period is meant for compulsory internship program.
MBBS programs gives adequate importance to classroom lectures and practical training. 12th Science Biology group pass students are eligible to apply for admission.
After completing MBBS program, a candidate may earn and use the title of Doctor (Medical). He/she may apply for postgraduate level programs such as MS, MD and PG Diploma programs.
These PG courses will help a candidate specialize in sub-disciplines within the field of medicine. Some such areas of specialization are – dermatology, general medicine, surgery, orthopaedics, gynaecology etc.
Let us move to the meat of the matter – list of medical colleges in Maharashtra. Here it is –
List of medical colleges in Maharashtra 2019
Here are some of the popular medical colleges in Maharashtra –
- ACPM Medical College, Dhule, Maharashtra
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, Maharashtra
- Padmashri Dr VV Patil Foundation’s Medical College, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
- Rajiv Gandhi Medical College, Thane, Maharashtra
- Grant Medical College, Byculla, Maharashtra
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha, Maharashtra
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Sion, Maharashtra
- SGS Medical College and KEM Hospital, Parel, Maharashtra
- Government Medical College, Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- BJ Medical College, Pune, Maharashtra
- Maharashtra Institute of Medical Science and Research, Latur, Maharashtra
- Maharashtra Institute of Medical Education and Research, Pune, Maharashtra
- Government Medical College, Latur, Maharashtra
- Dr VM Government Medical College, Solapur, Maharashtra
- Shri BH Government Medical College, Dhule, Maharashtra
- Topiwala National Medical College and Nair Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Smt KM Medical College and General Hospital, Pune, Maharashtra
- Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Indira Gandhi Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Dr PABD Memorial Medical College, Amravati, Maharashtra
- Government Medical College, Akola, Maharashtra
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University Medical College, Pune, Maharashtra
- Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Institute of Health Sciences, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
- NKP Salve Institute of Medical Science, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Dr DY Patil Medical College, Kolhapur, Maharashtra
- Ashwini Rural Medical College, Kolhapur, Maharashtra
- Terna Medical College and Hospital, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Dr SC Government Medical College, Nanded, Maharashtra
- Dr UP Medical College and Hospital, Jalgaon, Maharashtra
- Dr VP Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Nashik, Maharashtra
- Government Medical College, Sangli, Maharashtra
- Indian Institute of Medical Science and Research, Jalna, Maharashtra
- Institute of Medical Science and Research, Satara, Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Wardha, Maharashtra
- KJ Somaiyya Medical College and Research Centre, Sion, Maharashtra
- Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, Satara, Maharashtra
- Mahatma Gandhi Missions Medical College, Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- Padmashree Dr DY Patil Medical College, Belapur, Maharashtra
- Rajashree Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj Government Medical College, Kolhapur, Maharashtra
- Pravara Institute of Medical Sciences, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
- Shri Vasant Rao Naik Government Medical College, Yavatmal, Maharashtra
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University Medical College and Hospital, Sangli, Maharashtra
- Dr SC Government Medical College, Nanded, Maharashtra
If you want to secure admission into the above mentioned colleges, you must crack relevant medical entrance exam. These exams are conducted at National, State and College levels. Under merit admission process, seats are distributed among deserving candidates on the basis of merit marks scored by them in relevant medical entrance exam and/or board exam. Some colleges are also known to conduct donation based admission process.