MBBS is a very popular choice among biology group students in Karnataka. In this post, I’ve listed down some of the best medical colleges in Karnataka. Students as well as parents may use this guide as a reference material. This post will simplify the process of finding the best college.
Apart from the names of medical colleges in Karnataka, I’ve also provided additional information. Additional information includes topics such as – MBBS course details, admission process and eligibility criteria.
MBBS is probably the most popular course among biology group students. In India, engineering and medicine are the two most sought after professions.
Naturally, the level of competition associated with medical admission is too high. Each year, hundreds of thousands of students take part in medical entrance exams. They apply for MBBS admission process.
Only a handful of students manage to make their way into Government medical colleges. Rest of them settle for private medical colleges. Some students also go abroad, where they pursue MBBS in countries such as Russia, China, Ukraine etc.
In short, getting admission in a Government medical college is not an easy task. Why is it so difficult, you may ask. Read on to know more –
Types of medical colleges in India
In India, there exists three main types of medical colleges. They are –
- Government medical colleges
- Private medical colleges
- Aided medical colleges
Government medical colleges, as the name suggests, are managed by the Government. There exists two types of Government colleges in India – the ones managed by the Central Government and the ones managed by the State Government.
Since Government takes care of expenses, these colleges are able to provide subsidized education to its students. As a result, these colleges charge very low tuition fees. This is the main reason why Government medical colleges are very popular among Indian students.
Private medical colleges are managed by private charitable trusts and organizations. They charge relatively higher tuition fees. For many Indian students, this fees is simply out of their reach!
Aided medical colleges receive partial funding from the Government. While they charge relatively lower fees, it is not as low as the fees charged by Government medical colleges.
Now that you understand why students prefer Government colleges, let us check out the basic details about MBBS course. Here it is –
MBBS Course Details
MBBS stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. It is an undergraduate level medical course. After completing this course and registering with the Medical Council, a candidate may use the title of Dr (Medical Doctor).
The academic program is 5.5 years long. One year of this program is dedicated towards compulsory internship. The main aim of internship is to give hands-on practical experience to young medicine graduates.
The academic program will train you in both clinical and non-clinical aspects of medical science. It lays equal importance on practical training and classroom lectures.
For more details, check out this guide – MBBS course (everything you need to know).
Medical colleges are also known to offer PG level courses such as MS, MD and PG Diploma courses. These colleges also offer other courses related to healthcare domain such as – Nursing and Paramedical courses.
Let us check out the list of colleges now. Here it is –
List of medical colleges in Karnataka 2019
Here are some of the popular medical colleges in Karnataka –
- Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Dr BR Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka
- MS Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Khaja Bande Navaz Institute of Medical Sciences, Gulbarga, Karnataka
- Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur, Karnataka
- MVJ Medical College and Research Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Centre, Bangalore, Karnataka
- AJ Institute of Medical Sciences, Mangalore, Karnataka
- Rajarajeshwari Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Sri Basaveshwara Medical College and Hospital, Chitradurga, Karnataka
- Mysore Medical College, Mysore, Karnataka
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara Medical College, Mysore, Karnataka
- Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, Mandya, Karnataka
- Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences, Mandya, Karnataka
- Hassan Institute of Medical Sciences, Hassan, Karnataka
- Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli, Karnataka
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum, Karnataka
- Al-Ameen Medical College, Vijayapur, Karnataka
- SN Medical College and Research Centre, Bagalkot, Karnataka
- Sri DM Medical College, Dharwad, Karnataka
- Belgaum Institute of Medical Sciences, Belagavi, Karnataka
- Vijayanagar Institute of Medical Sciences, Bellary, Karnataka
- MP Medical College, Kalaburagi, Karnataka
- Navodaya Medical College, Raichur, Karnataka
- Bidar Institute of Medical Sciences, Bidar, Karnataka
- Raichur Institute of Medical Sciences, Raichur, Karnataka
- Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore, Karnataka
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Karnataka
- Yenepoya Medical College, Mangalore, Karnataka
- KS Hegde Medical Academy, Mangalore, Karnataka
- KV Gowda Medical College and Hospital, Sullia, Karnataka
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka
- JJM Medical College, Devangere, Karnataka
- SS Institute of Medical Sciences, Devangere, Karnataka
- Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences, Shimoga, Karnataka
- Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Srinivasa Institute of Medical Research Center, Mangalore, Karnataka
- ESI Medical College and PGIMSR, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Subbaiah Institute of Medical Science, Shimoga, Karnataka
- BGS Global Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Shridevi Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Hospital, Tumkur, Karnataka
- ESI Medical College, Gulbarga, Karnataka
- Oxford Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Gulbarga Institute of Medical Sciences, Gulbarga, Karnataka
- Koppal Institute of Medical Sciences, Koppal, Karnataka
- Gadag Institute of Medical Sciences, Gadag, Karnataka
Let us find out more details about the admission process. In the next section, you will find everything you need to know about medical admission process in Karnataka.
If you are interested in Government medical college or reputed private institutes, you must crack relevant medical entrance exam. Seats are allotted to deserving candidates on the basis of merit marks scored by them in medical entrance exam and/or board examination. Some other colleges are known to conduct donation based admission process.