Do you want to pursue law education after completing 12th or graduation? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve listed down some of the best law colleges in Tamil Nadu.
Law education is a very popular choice among students in Tamil Nadu. Both 12th pass and graduates are eligible to pursue different types of law programs.
In this post, you will find the names of best law colleges in TN. Apart from the names of colleges, you will also find details such as – law courses in TN, eligibility, duration and admission process.
What’s the scope of law education in India, you may ask. This sector has immense scope in India. There’s good demand for skilled lawyers out there.
In order to thrive in this sector, you must possess these qualities –
- Good communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Logic and reasoning skills
- Good memory
Lawyers have access to different types of job opportunities and profiles. They may choose to work for law firms, MNCs, law consultancies and may even start their own law agency or practice.
Before heading to the meat of the matter – law colleges in Tamil Nadu – let us check out the list of law courses available in TN. Here’s everything you need to know –
Law courses in Tamil Nadu –
Law courses in Tamil Nadu can be classified on the basis of academic levels and course formats. Let us check out the different academic levels first –
- UG level programs
- PG level programs
- Doctoral Degree programs
UG level stands for undergraduate level. These programs can be pursued after completing 12th class. Integrated law programs fall under this category.
PG level stands for postgraduate level. These programs can be pursued after completing relevant Bachelor’s Degree course.
Doctoral Degree programs are research based programs. These courses can be pursued after completing relevant Master’s Degree program.
Let us take a quick look at some of the prominent courses. Here they are –
Integrated law courses: These are UG level programs. Candidates may apply for admission after completing 12th class. BA LL.B., B.Sc. LL.B., B.Com. LL.B. – these are examples of integrated law courses.
Integrated law programs combine two academic programs together. The course duration is generally 5 years.
LL.B.: It stands for Bachelor of Law. Though it may sound like a Bachelor’s program, technically it is a Master’s Degree course. Candidates may apply for admission after completing relevant Bachelor’s Degree course.
LL.M.: It stands for Master of Law. Candidates who have completed LL.B. are eligible to apply for admission.
PG Diploma (law) programs: Candidates who have completed LL.B. are eligible to pursue PG Diploma (law) programs.
PhD and M.Phil.: These are research based programs. Candidates are eligible to apply for admission after completing relevant Master’s Degree course.
There exists different types of law colleges in Tamil Nadu. In the next section, you will find all the details about different types of colleges –
Types of law colleges –
There exists three main types of law colleges in TN –
- Government law colleges
- Private law colleges
- Aided law colleges
Government law colleges are owned and funded by the state Government. Colleges operated by Central Government exists too. Since Government bears most of the expense, these colleges are able to provide subsidized education to its students.
This is the main reason why students prefer Government colleges over aided and private colleges. Aided colleges are private institutes. But these institutes receive partial funding and support from the Government.
Private law colleges are also known as self financing colleges. They are owned and managed by private charitable trusts and organizations. They charge relatively higher fees (as compared to Government and Aided colleges).
Come, let us check out the list of colleges now. Here it is –
List of law colleges in Tamil Nadu 2021
Here are some of the popular law colleges in Tamil Nadu –
- Bharath Institute of Law, Bharath University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Crescent College of Law, BS Abdur Rahman University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- School of Law, Karunya University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- School of Law, Prist University Campus, Tamil Nadu
- School of Law, Sastra University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
- Saveetha College of Law, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- School of Law, SRM University, Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu
- Central Law College, Salem, Tamil Nadu
- Government Law College, Thirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
- Government Law College, Trichy, Tamil Nadu
- Government Law College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Dr Ambedkar Government Law College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Government Law College, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- School of Excellence, Tamil Nadu Dr Ambedkar Law University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Dr Ambedkar Law College, Chengalpattu, Tamil Nadu
- Government Law College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- The Tamil Nadu National Law School, Thiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu
- Institite of Law, VELS University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- VIT Law School, VIT University, Tamil Nadu
- Veltech Dr RR & Dr SR School of Law, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
In the next section, you will find all the details that you need to know about the admission process –
In order to secure admission into the above mentioned colleges, one must take part in relevant law entrance exam. Seats are allotted to deserving candidates on the basis of merit marks scored by them in relevant entrance exam. These exams are conducted at National, State and College levels. Some colleges are also known to conduct donation based admission process.