In this article, you will be reading about Senior Secondary Recruits (SSR- Sailor) Entry in Indian Navy. When it comes to Indian Navy, there are number of career options like AA, SSR, MR&NMR and Musicians. Here, we will check out in detail the career option of Senior Secondary Recruits. I will describe in detail about how one may join Indian Navy as an SSR after 12th Science schooling. You will be reading about details like- minimum educational qualifications, age limit, physical and medical standards, selection process and training process.
How to join Indian Navy as Sailor after 12th (using Senior Secondary Recruits entry)?
Minimum Educational Qualifications
Candidate should have passed 10+2 Science stream examination (or equivalent qualification) from a recognized board with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Minimum aggregate marks required for SSR is around 60%. Minimum marks criteria may change, depending upon recruitment year and batch. It will be specified in the advertisement.
Candidate should be between 17-21 years of age at the time when the course starts. It means that when the training starts at INS Chilka, the candidate must not be younger than 17 years and not older than 20 years. Upper age limit will be relaxed by 12 years in case of sportsmen who have performed at State/National/International events. Only unmarried Indian male candidates are eligible to make use of SSR entry scheme.
Physical Fitness Test will be held during selection. There are three main activities that a candidate has to perform in Physical Fitness Test- 1.6 Km run, to be completed in 7 minutes, 20 squats and 10 push ups.
Medical examination will be held at the time of selection by qualified Military Doctors. Minimum height requirement is 157 cm. Weight should be in proportion to the height of the candidate. Minimum chest expansion should be 5 cm.
Good mental health is also a must. Candidate shouldn’t have history of past mental illnesses. There shouldn’t be cardiovascular diseases of surgical deformities present.
Eyesight requirement without glasses- better eye 6/6, worse eye 6/9.
Eyesight requirement with glasses- better eye 6/6, worse eye 6/6.
Candidate should possess Colour Perception standard of CP 2.
How to Apply?
One will be able to find application forms along with advertisement in popular newspapers. Application form in same format can also be typed on white paper. Form can also be downloaded from the site- joinindiannavy.gov.in.
The form has to be filled up with correct details. Passport size photo has to be pasted on the form at the appropriate place. Along with the application form, one must also put attested copy (by a Gazetted Officer) of 12th Board Certificate/Marksheet and Domicile Certificate.
Two self addressed envelopes also have to be submitted along with the form and Certificate/Marksheet . On one envelope, 10 Rupees’ stamp has to be put. One envelope should be without any stamp. The envelope should be brown in colour.
On the envelope containing the application form and other certificates, write- Entry name(SSR Batch number)- your District- % scored in 12th board examination.
After completing all of the above mentioned steps, send the envelope to the following address by Ordinary Post only-
Post Box No.476
Gol Dak Khana, GPO
New Delhi- 110 001
- Shortlisted candidates are then called to appear for written examination. The call up letter for written examination will be put on joinindiannavy.gov.in website. Candidate has to download his call letter while going to appear for written examination.
- Written examination consists of subjects like English, Science, Mathematics and General Knowledge. 10+2 level questions on the above mentioned subjects will be asked. The exam will be 1 hour long. A candidate will have to score a predetermined minimum qualifying marks in each subject as well as the aggregate score, to advance further in the selection process.
- Written examination results will be announced on the same day. Candidates who manage to clear this round will be called up to appear for Physical Fitness Test and Medical Examination.
- Candidates who clear all the rounds and feature in the rank list will be selected for training, depending upon the availability of seats.
- Basic training lasting a period of 24 weeks will be given at INS Chilka. After that there will be 24 weeks of professional training in allotted trade. Professional training will be given at Naval Establishments chosen by the authorities.