In this article, we will check out how one may join the Indian Navy as Musician (this post falls under Matric Recruit entry, known as MUS-Musician Sailor). The job post that I will mention here is not an Officer post. One may apply for this job post after completing 10th standard board examination. This is a career option that ultimately falls under the Sailor category. Musician Sailor entry is also known by the short name MUS. Here, you will be reading about important joining details like- age limit, educational qualifications required, musical ability & instruments, physical & medical standards required, application process and selection procedure.
How to join Indian Navy as Musician (Musician Sailor) after 10th?
Job post and branches details
This is not an Officer post entry. MUS entry comes under the Sailor category. This job post falls under the Sailor category- Musician Sailor.
Educational Qualification required
The minimum educational qualification required is that the candidate should be 10th standard passed from a recognized Board. The candidate must also have musical aptitude and ability. Details about musical ability required are mentioned in the next section-
Musical ability and instruments
Candidate should be proficient in western notation, aural aptitude, knowledge of theory of Music and actual practice of any of the following instrument- String/Keyboard/Woodwind/Brass/Percussion Instruments (both Western and Indian instruments).
Applicant should be between 17-21 years of age at the time when training starts. Only unmarried male candidates are eligible to apply for this job post.
Physical & Medical standards
Candidate must be able to clear the Physical Fitness Test round. In PFT test, there are three main tasks- run 1.6 Km in 7 minutes, do 20 squats and 10 push ups.
Medical examination will be carried out by qualified Military Doctor. Minimum height requirement is 157 cm. Weight should be in proportion to the height of the candidate. Minimum chest expansion required is 5 cm. Candidate should not have cardiovascular diseases and surgical deformities. Also, there shouldn’t be any history of mental illnesses.
Eyesight requirements- without glasses (6/60 better eye, 6/60 worse eye), with glasses (6/9 better eye, 6/24 worse eye). Candidate must have Colour perception standard of CP 2.
How to apply?
Advertisement for Musician entry is usually put up on prominent newspapers and employment dailies in December/January and June/July each year.
One will be able to find application forms along with advertisement in popular newspapers. Application form in same format can also be typed on white paper. Form can also be downloaded from the site- joinindiannavy.gov.in.
The form has to be filled up with correct details. Passport size photo has to be pasted on the form at the appropriate place. Along with the application form, one must also put attested copy (by a Gazetted Officer) of Matriculation Certificate/Marksheet.
Two self addressed envelopes also have to be submitted along with the form and Certificate/Marksheet . On one envelope, 10 Rupees’ stamp has to be put. One envelope should be without any stamp. The envelope should be brown in colour.
On the envelope containing the application form and other certificate, write- Entry name(Batch number)- your District- % scored in 10th board examination- name of the musical instrument (from the list) you are proficient in.
After completing all of the above mentioned steps, send the envelope to the following address by Ordinary Post only-
The Commanding Officer,
(for Director of Music),
Mumbai- 400 005
- Initial shortlist of candidates is made on the basis of marks scored in examination. Such shortlisted candidates will be sent call letter by post. The call letter will provide details like- preliminary screening date and venue, exam timing etc. Candidates may also download the written exam call letter from joinindiannavy.gov.in website. Shortlisted candidates will have to appear for preliminary screening test.
- Preliminary Screening exam will be held at designated exam centres. In this screening test, musical aptitude, potential and the aural ability of candidate will be checked. Candidates clearing preliminary screening test will have to appear for Physical Fitness Test.
- PFT consists of 1.6 Km run (to be completed in 7 minutes), 10 push ups and 20 squats. Candidates who clear PFT round are then supposed to appear for Medical Examination.
- Medical examination will be conducted by Military Doctors. Candidates who manage to clear this examination stand a chance to get featured in the final merit list.
- All India level merit list will be prepared. Candidates featuring in this merit list will be selected for Final Screening. Candidates selected after Final Screening will then undergo a Final Enrollment Medicals test. Before final selection is made, selected candidates will also have to go through one Final Enrollment Medicals test.
- Final selection to training and enrollment to Indian Navy will happen only if a candidate clears the Final Enrollment Medicals.