In this article, we will check out how one may join the Indian Navy after completing 10th standard. The job post that I will mention here is not an Officer post. For students who have passed 10th standard board examination, there exists the career opportunity of Sailor (Matric Recruit). This career role falls under the Sailor category. Matric Recruit entry is also known by the short name MR. Here, you will be reading about important joining details like- age limit, educational qualifications required, physical & medical standards required, application process and selection procedure.
How to join Indian Navy as Sailor (Matric Recruit) after 10th?
Job post and branches details
This is not an Officer post entry. MR entry comes under the Sailor category. In case of Matric Recruit entry, the following branches/job posts are available under it-
Educational Qualification required
In case of MR recruit, the minimum educational qualification required is matriculation certificate from a recognized board. It means that the candidate should have 10th standard board examination from a recognized board.
Applicant should be between 17-21 years of age at the time when training starts at INS Chilka. Upper age limit will be relaxed by 12 months in case of sportsmen who have performed at International/National/State level events.
Physical & Medical standards
Candidate must be able to clear the Physical Fitness Test round. In PFT test, there are three main tasks- run 1.6 Km in 7 minutes, do 20 squats and 10 push ups.
Medical examination will be carried out by qualified Military Doctor. Minimum height requirement is 157 cm. Weight should be in proportion to the height of the candidate. Minimum chest expansion required is 5 cm. Candidate should not have cardiovascular diseases and surgical deformities. Also, there shouldn’t be any history of mental illnesses.
Eyesight requirements- without glasses (6/36 better eye, 6/36 worse eye), with glasses (6/9 better eye, 6/12 worse eye). Candidate must have Colour perception standard of CP 2.
How to apply?
One will be able to find application forms along with advertisement in popular newspapers. Application form in same format can also be typed on white paper. Form can also be downloaded from the site- joinindiannavy.gov.in.
The form has to be filled up with correct details. Passport size photo has to be pasted on the form at the appropriate place. Along with the application form, one must also put attested copy (by a Gazetted Officer) of Matriculation Certificate.
Two self addressed envelopes also have to be submitted along with the form and matriculation certificate. On one envelope, 10 Rupees’ stamp has to be put. One envelope should be without any stamp. The envelope should be brown in color.
On the envelope containing the application form and other certificate, write- MR (Batch number)- your District- marks scored on 10th board examination.
After completing all of the above mentioned steps, send the envelope to the following address by Ordinary Post only-
Post Box No.476
Gol Dak Khana, GPO
New Delhi- 110 001
- Initial shortlist of candidates is made on the basis of marks scored in 10th board examination. Such shortlisted candidates will be sent call letter by post. The call letter will provide details like- written exam date and venue, exam timing etc. Candidates may also download the written exam call letter from joinindiannavy.gov.in website.
- Written exam will be held at designated exam centres. The exam duration will be 60 minutes and will consist of subjects like- English, Science, Mathematics and General Knowledge (Matriculation level questions). Candidate will have to score minimum qualifying marks in each section as well as the aggregate marks. Candidates who qualify the written exam stage are then allowed to take part in Physical Fitness Test.
- PFT consists of 1.6 Km run (to be completed in 7 minutes), 10 push ups and 20 squats. Candidates who clear PFT round are then supposed to appear for Medical Examination.
- Medical examination will be conducted by Military Doctors. Candidates who manage to clear this examination stand a chance to get featured in the final merit list.
- All India level merit list will be prepared. Candidates featuring in this merit list will be selected and notified via their recruitment centres. They will get call letter to report at INS Chilka to undergo the Final Enrollment Medicals test. Before final selection is made, selected candidates will also have to go through one Final Enrollment Medicals test.
- Final selection to training and enrollment to Indian Navy will happen only if a candidate clears the Final Enrollment Medicals.
- After final selection, candidate will have to undergo training at INS Chilka. This is called basic training and it will last a period of 15 weeks. After completing basic training, a candidate will receive professional training at appropriate Naval establishment.