In this article, you will be reading about Soldier recruitment conducted by the Indian Army. You will find details such as eligibility criteria, age limit and selection process in this guide.
Indian Army conducts open rally each year to recruit candidates to fill Soldier posts. One may apply for the post of Soldier after passing 10th and/or 12th (depending upon the post).
There are categories within the soldier post. You will be reading about them in the table provided below.
Without wasting more time, let us move to the meat of the matter – soldier recruitment. You will find details such as eligibility criteria and age limit in the table provided below –
Indian Army Soldier recruitment 2020
|Sr No||Name of post||Eligibility||Age limit|
|1||Soldier General Duty (All Arms)||SSLC / Matric with 45% marks in aggregate and 33% in each subject.
No percentage considered in case candidate has passed with higher qualification ie 10+2 and above
|17½ to 21 years|
|2||Soldier Tradesmen (All Arms)||10th Simple Pass/ ITI (except Syce, Mess Keeper and House Keeper-
who may be 8th Simple Pass)
|17½ to 23 years|
|3||Soldier (Technical) (Technical Arms, Artillery, Army Air Defence)||(a)Sol Tech 10+2/Intermediate Exam pass in Science with Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English with 50% marks in aggregate and 40% marks in each subject.
(b)Sol Tech (Aviation & Ammunition Examiner) 10 +2 / Intermediate exam pass in Science with Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English with 50% marks in aggregate and 40% marks in each subject.
Three years Diploma in Engg (Mechanical /Electrical/ Automobiles/ Computer Science Mechanical Engg and Electronic & Instrumentation Engg) from a recognized Polytechnic Institute( No Education relaxation for this category is existing presently)
|17½ to 23 years|
|4||Soldier Clerk / Store Keeper Technical (All Arms)||10+2 / Intermediate Examination Pass in any stream (Arts, Commerce, Science). Should have secured 50% marks in each subject and 60% in aggregate in Class XII.
Should have studied English and Maths / Accounts / Book Keeping in Class XII or Class X. Should have secured min 50% marks in each of these subject, whether in Class XII or Class X
|17½ to 23 years|
|5||Soldier Nursing Assistant (Army Medical Corps)||10+2 / Intermediate Exam pass in Science with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English with Minimum 50% marks in aggregate and minimum 40% in each subject.
In case the candidate has a BSc Degree with (Botany / Zoology / Bio-Science) and English, the stipulation of percentage in Class-XII is waived off. However, the candidate should have studied all the four specified subjects in Class XII also
|17½ to 23 years|
|6||Soldier Tradesmen||Syce, Mess Keeper and House Keeper who may be 8th Pass||17½ to 23 years|
Let us talk about selection process now. I’ve listed down the main steps involved in Soldier recruitment below –
Also read: Indian Army JCO recruitment
Indian Army Soldier recruitment: Selection process
- Learn more about the Open Rally (starting date of registration)
- Apply for Open Rally
- Document verification (on venue site)
- Physical Fitness Test (PFT) – consists of 1.6 Km run, pull-ups, balance and 9 feet ditch
- Medical Test
- Common Entrance Exam (CEE) – consists of subjects such as GK, Mathematics and Science
- Publication of final merit list
Let us check out the medical standards required to pass the medical test –
Indian Army Soldier Recruitment: Medical standards
- A candidate should have robust physique and good mental health
- Chest should be well developed having minimum 5 cms expansion
- Should have normal hearing with each ear and good binocular vision in both eyes. He should be able to read 6/6 in distant vision chart with each eye. Colour vision should be CP – III (able to recognize white, red and green signal colors correctly as shown by Martin’s Lantern at 1.5 mtrs)
- Should have sufficient number of natural healthy gum and teeth i.e. minimum 14 dental points
- Should not have diseases like deformity of bones, hydrocele and varicocele or piles
- Soldier General Duty for infantry should have 6/6 eye sight
Lastly, let us check out the list of documents which need to be verified at the venue of rally.
Indian Army Soldier Recruitment: Documents required for verification
- Educational Certificate / Marksheet issued by the Recognized Education Board
- Residence Certificate with photograph issued by the authorised signatory of the State Government / Tehsildar / SDM
- Caste Certificate with photograph to be signed by Village Sarpanch except in the case of SIKH (Mazbi and Ramdasia), Gujjar and Gorkha candidates wherein it is reqd to be signed by the authorised signatory of the State Government / Tehsildar / SDM. Candidates belonging to Dogra Community to produce certificate with photograph issued by Tehsildar / Authorised Government Signatory
- Religion Certificate issued by the authorised signatory of the State Government / Tehsildar / SDM
- School Character Certificate issued by the Schools / Colleges Principal / Headmaster
- Character Certificate with photograph issued by the Village Sarpanch / Municipal Corporation / Police issued within last six months
- Unmarried Certificate with photograph issued by Village Sarpanch / District Administration issued within last six months (If candidate is below 21 years of age)
- Relationship Certificate issued by concerned Records Office (Applicable for only the Son of Serving Soldiers / Widows / War Widows and Ex-servicemen)
- NCC A / B / C Certificates. In case of NCC Certificate holders relevant certificates and certificate for participation in Republic Day Parade to be produced for dispensation
- Sports Certificate to be produced if represented in the following – International level, National Level, Represented District at National Level, Represented University Team or Regional Team at District Level
- Candidates having O+ Level Computer Certificate ‘Business Professional Programmer’ issued by the DOEACC Society
- Latest passport size photographs. Both the ears of the candidates must be visible and SIKH (Mazbi and Ramdasia) candidates must have photograph in turban and without turban
- Kandi area certificate for applicable candidates to be issued by Tehsildar / Authorised Government Signatory