Do you want to pursue GME course? Do you want to build a decent career in maritime sector? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve compiled a list of best GME (Graduate Marine Engineering) colleges in India.
Article Overview and Contents
- Top GME (Graduate Marine Engineering) Colleges in India 2021
- 1 AMET University, Tamil Nadu
- 2 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
- 3 BP Marine Academy, Maharashtra
- 4 CV Raman College of Engineering, Odisha
- 5 Cochin Shipyard Limited, Kerala
- 6 Coimbatore Marine College, Tamil Nadu
- 7 GKM Institute of Marine Sciences and Technology, Tamil Nadu
- 8 Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineering Ltd, West Bengal
- 9 HIMT College, Kalpakkam, TN
- 10 HIMT College, Tidel Park, TN
- 11 Institute of Maritime Studies, Goa
- 12 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- 13 MERI (Marine Engineering and Research Institute), Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 14 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
- 15 Mangalore Marine College and Technology, Karnataka
- 16 Maritime Foundation, Tamil Nadu
- 17 Praveenya Institute of Marine Engineering and Maritime Studies, Andhra Pradesh
- 18 RL Institute of Nautical Sciences, Tamil Nadu
- 19 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- 20 TS Rahaman, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 21 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- 22 UV Patel College of Engineering, Gujarat
- 23 VELS Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Tamil Nadu
- GME course details
- Admission Process
- Career path and tests
In this post, readers will find the following details – list of top GME (Graduate Marine Engineering) colleges in India (approved by the Directorate General of Shipping), their address, affiliation details, admission process, fee and more. In short, this post contains all the important details that you need to know about GME admission in India!
The merchant navy sector is known to generate ample amount of job opportunities each year. This is a broad sector. As a result, there exists multiple job roles, profiles and opportunities within this domain! For the list of relevant courses, check out this post – list of maritime courses in India. For details about relevant government institutes, check out this post – list of government maritime colleges in India.
The main aim of this post is to help readers choose a good GME college. Using the information provided in this post, aspirants will be able to take a better and well-informed decision. Come, let us check out the list of top GME colleges now. In the next section, you will find details such as – names of relevant institutes, their address, contact details and more.
Top GME (Graduate Marine Engineering) Colleges in India 2021
1 AMET University, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 135, East coast road, Kanathur, Chennai 603112, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 18001083030, 4427444625, 4427444627
- Website: ametuniv.ac.in
2 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
- Address: Khandpe, Kondiwade, Karjat, Raigad 410201, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02148226848
- Website: angloeasterncollege.com
3 BP Marine Academy, Maharashtra
- Address: BP Marine Academy, Old Panvel Road, Near Court, Raigad 410206, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02227450271
- Website: bpmarineacademy.in
4 CV Raman College of Engineering, Odisha
- Address: CV Raman Global University, Bidyanagar, Mahura, Janla, Bhubaneswar 752054, Odisha
- Contact number: 06746636555, 9040272733
- Website: cgu-odisha.ac.in
5 Cochin Shipyard Limited, Kerala
- Address: Marine Engineering Training Institute, Cochin Shipyard Limited, Perumanoor 682015, Kerala
- Contact number: 04842501370
- Website: cochinshipyard.com
6 Coimbatore Marine College, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 296, Pollachi Main Road, Myleripalayam, Othakkalmanpadam, Coimbatore 641032, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 18001205533, 04222364999
- Website: cmcmarine.in
7 GKM Institute of Marine Sciences and Technology, Tamil Nadu
- Address: Alapakkam-Mappedu Road, GKM Nagar, Perungalathur, Chennai 600063, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 4422794073/22794023
- Website: gkmims.net.in
8 Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineering Ltd, West Bengal
- Address: 43/46, Garden Reach Road, Kolkata 700024
- Contact number: 24698100
- Website: grse.in
9 HIMT College, Kalpakkam, TN
- Address: HIMT College, 55, East coast road, 72-B, Arambakkam, Vengambakkam Junction, Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu 603102
- Contact number: 8939872536, 8056283383
- Website: himtcollege.com
10 HIMT College, Tidel Park, TN
- Address: HIMT College, 32, 4th street, Dr VSI Estate, Near Hotel Holiday Inn, Near SRP Tools Signal, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai 600041, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 8939872536, 8056283383
- Website: himtcollege.com
11 Institute of Maritime Studies, Goa
- Address: Institute of Maritime Studies, ISBT Complex, Bogda, Vasco, Goa
- Contact number: 08322520986, 08322524063
- Website: imsgoa.org
12 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- Address: 13, Knowledge Park 1, Surajpur-Kasna Road, Greater Noida 201310, Uttar Pradesh
- Contact number: 9650657755
- Website: imi.edu.in
13 MERI (Marine Engineering and Research Institute), Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Address: MERI, IMU Mumbai Port Campus, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai 400033, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02223723577/23725987
- Website: imu.ac.in
14 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
- Address: MTI, 52-C, Adi Shankaracharya Marg, Powai 400072, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 8657135535, 02235116015
- Website: mti.shipindia.com
15 Mangalore Marine College and Technology, Karnataka
- Address: Padil Padavu, Kelinjar Village, Kuppepadavu, Mangalore 574144
- Contact number: 18001205533, 04222364999
- Website: cmcmmct.com
16 Maritime Foundation, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 4/268, Thozhuvur, Kuppam, Sevapet, NH 716, Thiruvallur, Tamil Nadu 602025
- Contact number: 04427621193/94/95/96/97
- Website: maritime-foundation.com
17 Praveenya Institute of Marine Engineering and Maritime Studies, Andhra Pradesh
- Address: PRIME, Modavalasa, Opposite Fresh Choice, Chittivalasa, Denkada Mandal, Vizianagaram 531162, Andhra Pradesh
- Contact number: 9494198111, 9652396235
- Website: primevisakha.edu.in
18 RL Institute of Nautical Sciences, Tamil Nadu
- Address: TVR Nagar, Aruppukottai Road, Elliyerpatti, Madurai, Tamil Nadu 625022
- Contact number: 04523918614
- Website: rlins.edu.in
19 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- Address: Takwe Khurd, Mumbai Pune Highway, Lonavala, Pune 410405, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02114399500
- Website: samundra.com
20 TS Rahaman, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Address: Jahaz Mahal Annexe, 170 K, Samander Point Estate, Opposite Lotus, Worli, Mumbai 400018, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02224933324/24938740
- Website: tsrahaman.org
21 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- Address: 56, Tungarli Village, Opposite Lagoona Resort, Next to Perfect Engineering Works, Lonavala 410403, Pune, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 9595312126, 7620312127
- Website: geinstitute.com
22 UV Patel College of Engineering, Gujarat
- Address: Ganpat University, UVPCE, Ganpat Vidyanagar, Mehsana-Gozaria Highway, Mehsana 384012
- Contact number: 02762286805/226001
- Website: uvpce.ac.in
23 VELS Academy of Maritime Education and Training, Tamil Nadu
- Address: Off Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Near Navalur, Thalambur, Chennai 600130, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 9361852531, 9840365082
- Website: velsmaritime.com
The list has not been ranked in any order (ascending or descending). All of the institutes listed above are recognized and approved by the DGS (Directorate General of Shipping). These institutes possess adequate infrastructure, faculty and amenities to help you with the training program (theory and classroom aspects).
Come, let us take a close look at the course now. What is GME course all about, some of you may ask. In the next section, we will deal with the following topics – basic details about GME course (duration, eligibility, syllabus etc). Let us begin –
GME course details
GME stands for Graduate Marine Engineering. It is a merchant navy sector course. Technically speaking, it is a PG level course. PG stands for postgraduate level. Only candidates who have completed relevant B.E. or B.Tech. program are eligible to pursue GME course.
You may also check – Best Marine Engineering colleges in India
GME is a presea training course. After completing this course, a candidate must complete six months of sea service. On completing the designated period of sea service, the candidate shall be awarded a Class IV Marine Engineer Officer Certificate by the DGS (Directorate General of Shipping).
This certificate will help a candidate to perform the duty/obtain the role of ‘marine engineer’ aboard merchant navy vessels anywhere across the world! In short, GME course can help you build a rewarding career in merchant navy sector!
Come, let us take a close look at the eligibility criteria –
In order to be considered eligible to pursue GME course, a candidate must satisfy the following conditions – educational qualifications (minimum qualifications), age limit, physical and medical standards. Come, let us take a close look at these conditions and requirements –
Educational qualification required
Minimum academic qualification required is – Completed B.E. or B.Tech. in relevant branches such as – Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Mechanical and Automation Engineering or Marine Engineering. Candidate must have scored at least 60% aggregate marks in B.E. or B.Tech. program. Minimum aggregate marks criteria may vary from one college to another.
Candidate must have scored at least 50% marks in English subject (separately) in 10th, 12th or Degree program. Marks criteria related to English subject may vary from one institute to another.
A candidate must not be more that 28 years of age at the time of enrollment.
Physical and medical standards
In order to be considered eligible for admission, a candidate must be physically and medically fit as per the guidelines set by DGS. A medical examination will be carried out by a DGS approved Doctor (during the selection process) to check whether a candidate is physically and medically fit or not.
A candidate’s eyesight must be 6/6 without external aids. Maximum power permitted is +or-2.5. Candidate must not be color blind.
GME course is 1 year (12 months) long. It is a presea training program.
Admission process may vary slightly from one college to another. Reputed institutes rely on merit based admission process. This is what merit based selection process looks like –
- Step 1 – Registration.
- Step 2 – Entrance exam or aptitude test (English, GK, domain-specific subjects, personality test etc).
- Step 3 – Panel interview.
- Step 4 – Physical and medical examination.
- Step 5 – Final selection.
The first and foremost step is – registration. After registration, a candidate must appear for a basic selection test/aptitude test/entrance test. Such a test shall consist of subjects such as – English, technical questions (domain-specific) etc.
Candidates who manage to clear the preliminary test and invited to take part in the panel interview stage. The interview is carried out to gauge the overall personality and aptitude of the candidate. Panel interview is followed by a physical and medical test. The medical examination will be carried out by a DGS approved Doctor. Based on these tests, a final merit list will be made. Deserving candidates will obtain admission on the basis of their score/position in the merit list.
GME course fees may vary from one college to another. On an average, it could be anywhere between 250K to 400K per year.
Career path and tests
What after completing GME course, some of you may ask. An ideal career path should look like this –
- Complete 12 months long GME presea training course.
- Serve 6 months aboard a merchant navy ship as a Junior Engineer.
- Take Class IV Part B examination. Clear it and get MEO Class IV Part B Certificate from the DGS.
- Complete 12 months of sea service aboard a merchant navy ship as 3rd or 4th engineer.
- Take MEO Class II Part B examination. Clear it to obtain MEO Class II Part B Certificate from the DGS.
- Serve 18 months aboard a merchant navy ship.
- Take MEO Class I Part B examination. Clear it to obtain MEO Class I Certificate from the DGS.
- After obtaining class I certificate, you may don the role of ‘Chief Engineer’ aboard a merchant navy vessel!