In this article, you will be reading about Fire and Safety courses in India. I’ve listed some of the best Diploma, ITI, Bachelor’s Degree, Post Graduate and Certification courses related to fire and safety here.
The courses mentioned in this article can usually be pursued after completing 10th and/or 12th. Eligibility criteria varies from one course to another.
Fire and Safety training is gaining popularity with each passing year. This sector is generating numerous job opportunities.
Fire and Safety courses are also popularly known as Fire and Safety Technology / Fire and Safety Management. Despite their different names, these courses share the same training module and content.
Fire and Safety courses focus on the science of fire and firefighting. The training module covers topics such as fire, fire prevention, hydraulics, first-aid, firefighting equipment, communication systems, fire safety engineering, chemistry and physics.
There’s a misconception that fire and safety professionals are hired only by fire brigades and firefighting departments. Actually, fire and safety professionals are also hired by chemical plants, industries, MNCs, Oil companies, refineries, electricity boards and construction firms.
In India, fire and safety courses are available in the following formats –
- Certificate training courses
- ITI courses
- Diploma courses
- Bachelor’s Degree courses
- PG courses
Let us check out each course format –
Fire and Safety courses in India
1 Certificate courses
- Certificate in Safety Management
- Certificate in Fireman Training
- Certificate in Industrial Safety Management
- Certificate in Security and Fire Prevention
- Certificate in Disaster Management
2 ITI courses
- ITI Fireman course
- ITI Fire Technology and Safety Management
- ITI Safety and Security course
3 Diploma courses
- Diploma in Fire and Safety Technology
- Diploma in Fire and Safety Engineering
- Diploma in Industrial Safety
- Diploma in Fire and Safety Management
4 Bachelor’s Degree courses
- B.Sc. Fire and Safety
- B.Sc. Fire Safety and Hazard Management
- B.Sc. Fire and Industrial Safety
- B.Tech. Fire and Safety Engineering
5 PG courses
- PG Diploma in Safety Management
- PG Diploma in Industrial Safety
- PG Diploma in Fire Safety and Hazard Management
- Certificate courses – 10th pass
- ITI courses – 10th pass
- Diploma courses – 10th, ITI or 12th pass
- Bachelor’s Degree courses – 12th pass or passed relevant Diploma course
- PG courses – hold a relevant Bachelor’s Degree
Career prospects and job opportunities
Fire and Safety professionals have both government and private job opportunities available in front of them. Some of the major recruiters are –
- Government Firefighting department
- Oil companies
- Chemical plants
- Electricity boards
- Fire Safety training institutes
- Construction firms
- Armed forces
- Government departments
In the above mentioned work setups, one may don the following roles –
- Safety Engineer
- Safety officer
- Safety consultant
- Fire Officer
- Station Master / Supervisor / In-charge
- Safety supervisor
Fire and Safety professionals also have huge demand abroad. Industries in Gulf countries, Europe and USA are known to recruit fire and safety professionals from India.
In short, fire and safety courses are job oriented training programs. There are lots of course formats to choose from. Depending upon the course, you may start training after passing 10th, 12th or Graduation.