Do you want to build a decent career in merchant navy sector? Do you want to pursue a job oriented pre-sea training course after completing Degree/Diploma in Engineering? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve compiled a list of best ETO (Electro Technical Officer) colleges in India.
Article Overview and Contents
- Top ETO (Electro Technical Officer) Colleges in India
- 1 AMET University, Tamil Nadu
- 2 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
- 3 BP Marine Academy, Maharashtra
- 4 Coimbatore Marine College, Tamil Nadu
- 5 Euro Tech Maritime Academy, Kerala
- 6 HIMT College, Kalpakkam, TN
- 7 HIMT College, Tidel Park, TN
- 8 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- 9 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
- 10 RL Institute of Nautical Sciences, Tamil Nadu
- 11 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- 12 Seacom Marine College, Howrah
- 13 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- 14 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
- 15 UV Patel College of Engineering, Gujarat
- ETO Course Details
- Admission process
- Career path and tests
In this post, readers will find the following details – list of top ETO (Electro Technical Officer) colleges in India (approved by the Directorate General of Shipping), their address, affiliation details, admission process, fee and more. In short, this post contains all the important details that you need to know about ETO admission in India!
Apart from college-related information, I’ve also provided basic details about ETO course in this post. Basic details about the course (duration, eligibility, fees, syllabus etc), nature of the training program and career path – I’ve also covered additional information in this post.
Merchant navy generates ample amount of job opportunities each year. This sector plays an important role in world trade and economy. Merchant navy jobs offer attractive salary packages. Unlike regular 9 to 5 jobs, a job aboard a ship involves its fair share of risks, adventures and challenges!
In India, students have access to different types of merchant navy courses. They even have access to private and government maritime colleges. In this post, we will deal with ETO course and relevant colleges. ETO is a pre-sea training course. This course has been crafted keeping the needs of Diploma/Degree engineering (relevant branches only) graduates in mind.
Come, let us check out the list of colleges now. Here it is –
Top ETO (Electro Technical Officer) Colleges in India
1 AMET University, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 135, East coast road, Kanathur, Chennai 603112, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 18001083030, 4427444625, 4427444627
- Website: ametuniv.ac.in
2 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
- Address: Khandpe, Kondiwade, Karjat, Raigad 410201, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02148226848
- Website: angloeasterncollege.com
3 BP Marine Academy, Maharashtra
- Address: BP Marine Academy, Old Panvel Road, Near Court, Raigad 410206, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02227450271
- Website: bpmarineacademy.in
4 Coimbatore Marine College, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 296, Pollachi Main Road, Myleripalayam, Othakkalmanpadam, Coimbatore 641032, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 18001205533, 04222364999
- Website: cmcmarine.in
5 Euro Tech Maritime Academy, Kerala
- Address: Euro Tech Maritime Academy, Opposite TVS, Deshabhimani Junction, Kaloor, Kochi 682017, Kerala
- Contact number: 04844046414, 2340099, 2337611
- Website: eurotechmaritime.org
6 HIMT College, Kalpakkam, TN
- Address: HIMT College, 55, East coast road, 72-B, Arambakkam, Vengambakkam Junction, Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu 603102
- Contact number: 8939872536, 8056283383
- Website: himtcollege.com
7 HIMT College, Tidel Park, TN
- Address: HIMT College, 32, 4th street, Dr VSI Estate, Near Hotel Holiday Inn, Near SRP Tools Signal, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai 600041, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 8939872536, 8056283383
- Website: himtcollege.com
8 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- Address: 13, Knowledge Park 1, Surajpur-Kasna Road, Greater Noida 201310, Uttar Pradesh
- Contact number: 9650657755
- Website: imi.edu.in
9 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
- Address: MTI, 52-C, Adi Shankaracharya Marg, Powai 400072, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 8657135535, 02235116015
- Website: mti.shipindia.com
10 RL Institute of Nautical Sciences, Tamil Nadu
- Address: TVR Nagar, Aruppukottai Road, Elliyerpatti, Madurai, Tamil Nadu 625022
- Contact number: 04523918614
- Website: rlins.edu.in
11 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- Address: Takwe Khurd, Mumbai Pune Highway, Lonavala, Pune 410405, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02114399500
- Website: samundra.com
12 Seacom Marine College, Howrah
- Address: Seacom Marine College, Jaladhulagori, Andul-Mouri, Sankrail, Howrah 711302, West Bengal
- Contact number: 9331050497, 9830498330
- Website: seacommarinecollege.org
13 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- Address: 56, Tungarli Village, Opposite Lagoona Resort, Next to Perfect Engineering Works, Lonavala 410403, Pune, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 9595312126, 7620312127
- Website: geinstitute.com
14 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
- Address: Tolani Maritime Institute, Talegaon-Chakan Road, Induri, Talegaon, Pune 410507, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 66960001/02/04/05/15/16/17
- Website: tmi.tolani.edu
15 UV Patel College of Engineering, Gujarat
- Address: Ganpat University, UVPCE, Ganpat Vidyanagar, Mehsana-Gozaria Highway, Mehsana 384012
- Contact number: 02762286805/226001
- Website: uvpce.ac.in
Come, let us take a close look at ETO course. What is ETO course all about? What’s the course content like? You will find answers to these questions in the next section –
ETO Course Details
ETO stands for Electro Technical Officer. It is a pre-sea training course. The main aim of this course is to train students and turn them into skilled Electro Technical Officers. The program primarily deals with electrical system used in merchant navy ships.
A ship is made up of different parts. Engine, body, communication system, electrical system, electronics system, control system – these parts and systems combine to form a ship! ETO course deals with electrical system and equipment used on a ship.
Generators, power distribution channels, freezers, air conditioning system – these are examples of electrical system and equipment used on a ship. Just like any other system, electrical system and equipment too demand maintenance. An ETO is knowledgeable about electrical system and equipment used on a ship. An ETO officer is capable of installing, inspecting, repairing and evaluating such system and/or equipment.
Come, let us take a close look at the eligibility criteria. Here is everything you need to know –
Let us check out aspects such as – minimum educational qualification required, age limit and physical & medical standards. Let us begin –
Minimum educational qualification
- Minimum educational qualification required to pursue this course is –
- Passed 12th standard with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as separate subjects. Candidate must have scored at least 60% marks in PCM subjects combined. Candidate must also have scored at least 50% marks in English language in 12th or 10th board examination.
- Completed Diploma (3 years) or Degree (B.E. or B.Tech. – 4 years) in disciplines such as – electrical engineering/electronics engineering/electrical and electronics engineering/electronics and telecommunication engineering/communication engineering/electronics and instrumentation engineering or equivalent branch. Candidate must have scored at least 50% marks in diploma program or 60% marks in degree (B.E. or B.Tech.) program.
Age limit criteria may vary from one institute to another. Some colleges have set 30 years as the upper age limit. For some other colleges, the upper age limit is 35 years.
Physical and medical standards
In order to be considered eligible for admission, a candidate must be physically and medically fit as per the guidelines set by DGS. A medical examination will be carried out by a DGS approved Doctor (during the selection process) to check whether a candidate is physically and medically fit or not.
ETO training course is 17 weeks long (roughly 4 months).
Admission process may vary slightly from one college to another. Reputed institutes rely on merit based admission process. This is what merit based selection process looks like –
- Step 1 – Registration.
- Step 2 – Entrance exam or aptitude test (English, GK, domain-specific subjects, personality test etc).
- Step 3 – Panel interview.
- Step 4 – Physical and medical examination.
- Step 5 – Final selection.
The first and foremost step is – registration. After registration, a candidate must appear for a basic selection test/aptitude test/entrance test. Such a test shall consist of subjects such as – English, technical questions (domain-specific) etc.
Candidates who manage to clear the preliminary test and invited to take part in the panel interview stage. The interview is carried out to gauge the overall personality and aptitude of the candidate. Panel interview is followed by a physical and medical test. The medical examination will be carried out by a DGS approved Doctor. Based on these tests, a final merit list will be made. Deserving candidates will obtain admission on the basis of their score/position in the merit list.
ETO training fees may vary from one institute to another. It depends upon factors such as – scholarship status of the student, rating of the college, location of the college etc. On an average, the fees could be anywhere between 150K to 300K INR.
What after completing ETO course, some of you may ask. In the next section, we will take a close look at the ideal career path. In the next section, you will find the following details – steps to take after completing ETO course, sea-service period to be served, job roles to take care of etc. Let us begin –
Career path and tests
- Complete 17 weeks/4 months ETO pre-sea training course.
- Serve 8 months aboard a ship as trainee ETO.
- Become Assistant ETO.
- Serve 6 months aboard a ship as Assistant ETO.
- Clear relevant examination and become ETO.