In this article, we will have an in-depth analysis of B.E./B.Tech. Electrical Engineering course. Students who have passed 12th Science with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics or students who have been through relevant diploma course are eligible to pursue this course. Here, we will check out basic course details, eligibility criteria, course duration details, important subjects present, scope and job opportunities after graduation.
Electrical Engineering branch is one of the oldest and core branches of Engineering. Many relatively new Engineering branches have originated from this branch, such as- Electronics and Communication Engineering, Control Engineering, Power Engineering etc.
B.E./B.Tech. Electrical Engineering: Basic course details
Electrical Engineering program’s course duration is 4 years. It is an Undergraduate level program. The 4 years’ duration is divided into 8 semesters, with each semester lasting a duration of 6 months.
In simple terms, Electrical Engineering is a branch of Engineering that deals with concepts related to electricity and electric machinery such as- generation, transmission and use of electricity, electromagnetism, equipment like generator, motors, transformers, AC Current, DC Current, circuit networks, control systems etc.
To get a better idea about what the course is actually like, let us take a look at some of the important subjects present in Electrical Engineering course.
B.E./B.Tech. Electrical Engineering: Important subjects
By going through the list of important subjects present in the program, readers will easily be able to have an idea about what the course is actually like. In 1st and 2nd semester, students will have to face the common set of Engineering subjects.
- Engineering Mathematics
- Communication Skills
- Engineering Physics
- Mechanics of Solids
- Elements of Electrical Engineering
- Basics of Civil Engineering
- Engineering Graphics
- Environmental Science
- Computer Programming and Utilization
- Elements of Mechanical Engineering
From second year onward, subjects focusing more on various topics related to electricity are introduced.
- Circuits and Networks
- Micro controllers and Embedded Systems
- Basics of Electronics
- Analog and Digital Electronics
- Electrical Machines
- Electrical Power
- Control Theory
- Power Electronics
- Electrical Design
- Electrical and Electronics Measurement
- High Voltage Engineering
- Electrical Machine Design
- Power Systems and their networks
- Advanced Power Electronics
- Advanced Micro controllers and Embedded Systems
- Power System Safety and Protection
- Power Utilization
- Safety Management
Among the important subjects present in the above list, number of subjects are recurring ones. They appear in more than one semester. For example, the subject of Electrical Machine Design appears in more than one semester! Similar of the case of Engineering Mathematics subject.
Elective subjects also are present in case of different semesters. Elective subjects may vary from one institute to another. Electrical lab sessions and workshops also form an integral part of B.E./B.Tech. Electrical Engineering program. Industrial tour and project work exists, in case of last three semesters.
10+2 Science stream students who have passed 12th board examination from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects are eligible to pursue this course. Minimum marks criteria exists and varies from one Institute to another. Generally, it is between 40-50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects. Also check – list of popular courses after 12th science.
To get admission in reputed Institutes, candidates must also have appeared for state wise (or National Level) entrance examination and secured good marks in it.
Courses to do after B.E./B.Tech. Electrical Engineering
Graduates may go for skill enhancing Diploma courses as well as technical courses that are job oriented. Graduates may also go for Advanced courses like M.Tech. Electrical Engineering/Machinery Design/Control Systems.
Going for an M.B.A. Degree is also a good option, as it will add management skills to the technical skill set of a graduate.
Scope, Salary and Job opportunities
Electrical Engineering is a core branch of Engineering. It is an evergreen branch. Qualified Electrical Engineers are always in demand, since most Industries use electricity and electric machines. Engineers are required by Industries for operational, maintenance and manufacturing purposes.
For graduates, job opportunities are available in Government as well as Private sector. Talking about Government sector jobs, the prime recruiters are- BHEL, Indian Railways, Indian Armed Forces, ONGC, Thermal Power Plants, Power Stations, State wise Electricity Boards, PWD Department etc. In the above mentioned Government organizations and departments, one may find job posts of-
- Electrical Engineer
- Assistant Electrical Engineer
Most private manufacturing units and industries makes use of electricity and machines. Thus, it is safe to say that directly or indirectly, a large proportion of industries hire Electrical Engineers! Starting salary depends on different factors such as- quality of College, marks scored in exams etc and may vary between 2-5 Lakh Rupees per year. Graduates may find following job posts in various industries-
- Electrical Engineer
- Assistant Electrical Engineer
- Automation Engineer
- Purchase and Quality Control Executive
- Plant designing and planning officer
Graduates may also take up teaching job after completing M.Tech. program. They may also go for PhD program and venture into the Research and Development sector.
Popular Electrical Engineering colleges in India –
Here’s a list of popular engineering colleges offering electrical engineering courses in India –
- IIT-B, Powai
- IIT Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- Government Engineering College, Calicut
- College of Engineering, Trivandrum
- IIT Madras, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- University Departments of Anna University, Chennai – CEG Campus, Tamil Nadu
- University Departments of Anna University, Chennai – ACT Campus, Tamil Nadu
- University Departments of Anna University, Chennai – SAP Campus, Tamil Nadu
- IIT Kharagpur, West Bengal
- NIT Durgapur, West Bengal
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata, West Bengal
- LD College of Engineering, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad
- Vishwakarma Government Engineering College, Chandkheda, Ahmedabad
- Faculty of Technology and Engineering, MSU, Vadodara
- SVIT, Surat
- IIT, Patna, Bihar
- NIT, Patna, Bihar
- CIPET, Hajipur, Bihar
- IIT, Mandi, Himachal Pradesh
- NIT, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- IIT Hyderabad, Telangana
- NIT Warangal, Telangana
- IIT, Ropar, Punjab
- Dr BR Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, Punjab
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, Punjab
- MRSPTU, Bathinda, Punjab
- CIPET, Amritsar, Punjab
- IIT Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- NIT Rourkela, Odisha
- College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar, Odisha