Have you passed 12th standard? Do you want to pursue a job oriented maritime course after completing 12th? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve compiled a list of best DNS (Diploma in Nautical Science) colleges in India.
Article Overview and Contents
- Top DNS (Diploma in Nautical Science) Colleges in India 2021
- 1 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
- 2 Applied Research International, Delhi
- 3 Centre for Maritime Education and Training, Uttar Pradesh
- 4 Dr BR Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Port Blair
- 5 Haldia Institute of Maritime Studies and Research, West Bengal
- 6 IMU Campus, Kolkata
- 7 IMU, Navi Mumbai
- 8 IMU, Chennai
- 9 International Maritime Academy, Tamil Nadu
- 10 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- 11 Mumbai Maritime Training Institute, Maharashtra
- 12 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
- 13 Maritime Foundation, Tamil Nadu
- 14 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- 15 Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Tamil Nadu
- 16 Sriram Institute of Marine Studies, Delhi
- 17 TS Rahaman, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 18 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- 19 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
- 20 Yak Educational Trust, Maharashtra
- DNS (Diploma in Nautical Science) Course Details
- Admission process
- Career path and tests
In this post, readers will find the following details – list of top DNS (Diploma in Nautical Science) colleges in India (approved by the Directorate General of Shipping), their address, affiliation details, admission process, fee and more. In short, this post contains all the important details that you need to know about DNS admission in India!
DNS stands for Diploma in Nautical Science. It is a diploma level merchant navy course. Students who have passed 12th class (with specific subjects) are eligible to pursue this course. Apart from the names of DNS colleges, I’ve also covered additional details such as – course duration, eligibility criteria, fees, selection process and career path.
Why choose merchant navy sector, some of you may ask. The merchant navy sector is known to generate ample amount of job opportunities each year. Merchant navy jobs are known to be well rewarding (financially).
Due to this reason, merchant navy is a popular choice among Indian students! In India, a student has access to different types of merchant navy programs. These programs span multiple course-formats such as – Diploma, Degree and PG Degree format! Similarly, they also span across multiple academic levels such as – UG, PG and Doctoral Degree level!
In this post, we will deal with DNS colleges. Come, let us check out the list of best DNS colleges in India now. Here is the list –
Top DNS (Diploma in Nautical Science) Colleges in India 2021
1 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
- Address: Khandpe, Kondiwade, Karjat, Raigad 410201, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02148226848
- Website: angloeasterncollege.com
2 Applied Research International, Delhi
- Address: D 150/S, D Block, Chhatarpur Extension, New Delhi 110074
- Contact number: 01146207100, 9811817220
- Website: ariedu.com
3 Centre for Maritime Education and Training, Uttar Pradesh
- Address: CMET Campus, Saraiyyan Bazar, NH 24, Off Sitapur Road, Bakshi Ka Talab, Lucknow Uttar Pradesh 227202
- Contact number: 05222735015/16
- Website: cmetlucknow.com
4 Dr BR Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Port Blair
- Address: Pahargaon, Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Contact number: 03192250267
- Website: –
5 Haldia Institute of Maritime Studies and Research, West Bengal
- Address: ICARE Complex, Marine Campus, Hatiberia, Haldia, Purba Medinipur, West Bengal 721657
- Contact number: 03224255275/267502
- Website: himsar.net
6 IMU Campus, Kolkata
- Address: IMU Campus, P 19, Taratala Road, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Contact number: 03324014673/76/78.
- Website: merical.ac.in.
- Address: IMU – Navi Mumbai Campus, TS Chanakya, Karave, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 400706.
- Contact number: 02227703876/27701935.
- Website: imunavimumbai.com
8 IMU, Chennai
- Address: IMU – Chennai Campus, East Coast Road, Uthandi, Chennai 600119, Tamil Nadu.
- Contact number: 04424530343/345.
- Website: imu.ac.in.
9 International Maritime Academy, Tamil Nadu
- Address: International Maritime Academy, 41, Jamin Korattur, Pudhuchatram, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 9176637100, 9176687200
- Website: imamaritime.com
10 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- Address: 13, Knowledge Park 1, Surajpur-Kasna Road, Greater Noida 201310, Uttar Pradesh
- Contact number: 9650657755
- Website: imi.edu.in
11 Mumbai Maritime Training Institute, Maharashtra
- Address: Kalote Rayati, Khalapur, Off NH 4, Raigad
- Contact number: 02192275091, 9370812044
- Website: mmti.co.in
12 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
- Address: MTI, 52-C, Adi Shankaracharya Marg, Powai 400072, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 8657135535, 02235116015
- Website: mti.shipindia.com
13 Maritime Foundation, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 4/268, Thozhuvur, Kuppam, Sevapet, NH 716, Thiruvallur, Tamil Nadu 602025
- Contact number: 04427621193/94/95/96/97
- Website: maritime-foundation.com
14 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- Address: Takwe Khurd, Mumbai Pune Highway, Lonavala, Pune 410405, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02114399500
- Website: samundra.com
15 Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 108, East Madha Church Street, Royapuram, Chennai 600013, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 4442269050
- Website: samsmarine.org
16 Sriram Institute of Marine Studies, Delhi
- Address: Bamnoli, Sector 28, Dwarka, New Delhi 110077
- Contact number: 9990565959
- Website: simsnd.in
17 TS Rahaman, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Address: Jahaz Mahal Annexe, 170 K, Samander Point Estate, Opposite Lotus, Worli, Mumbai 400018, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02224933324/24938740
- Website: tsrahaman.org
18 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- Address: 56, Tungarli Village, Opposite Lagoona Resort, Next to Perfect Engineering Works, Lonavala 410403, Pune, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 9595312126, 7620312127
- Website: geinstitute.com
19 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
- Address: Tolani Maritime Institute, Talegaon-Chakan Road, Induri, Talegaon, Pune 410507, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 66960001/02/04/05/15/16/17
- Website: tmi.tolani.edu
20 Yak Educational Trust, Maharashtra
- Address: Hal Budruk, Khopoli, Raigad, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 2227580009
- Website: yakindia.com
The list has not been ranked in any order. Let us take a close look at DNS course now. In the next section, we will have an in-depth analysis of the academic program. We will take a close look at details such as – eligibility criteria (academic qualifications, age limit, physical and medical standards), duration, fees etc. Let us begin –
DNS (Diploma in Nautical Science) Course Details
DNS stands for Diploma in Nautical Science. It is a diploma certificate program. Candidates who have passed 12th Science with PCM subjects are eligible to pursue this course. The course duration is one year.
If you want to become a navigating officer in the merchant navy sector, this program will be of help to you! This program can help you begin your journey towards becoming a navigating officer!
The main aim of this course is to train students and turn them into skilled Deck Officers! Technically speaking, this program caters to the needs of ‘nautical’ department of the merchant navy.
The program deals with topics such as – navigation, seamanship, ship operations, cargo handling, ship stability, ship construction, basics of marine engineering, communication skills etc. DNS program may lead you to a B.Sc. Degree in Nautical Science. The step-by-step process has been discussed in detail ahead.
Let us take a close look at the eligibility criteria now. Here is everything you need to know about it –
Minimum educational qualification required
Minimum educational qualification required to pursue DNS course is – Passed 12th standard with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects. A candidate must have at least 60% aggregate marks in PCM subjects and at least 50% marks in English subject (in 10th or 12th).
Age limit criteria may vary from one institute to another. Generally, the upper age limit is 25 years. It means that a candidate must not be older than 25 years of age at the time of enrollment.
Physical and medical standards
In order to be considered eligible for admission, a candidate must be physically and medically fit as per the guidelines set by DGS. A medical examination will be carried out by a DGS approved Doctor (during the selection process) to check whether a candidate is physically and medically fit or not. A candidate’s eyesight must be 6/6 without external aids. Maximum power permitted is +or-2.5. Candidate must not be color blind.
DNS pre-sea training course’s duration is 1 year. The course is divided into two semesters.
Admission process may vary slightly from one college to another. Reputed institutes rely on merit based admission process. This is what merit based selection process looks like –
- Step 1 – Registration.
- Step 2 – Entrance exam or aptitude test (English, GK, domain-specific subjects, personality test etc).
- Step 3 – Panel interview.
- Step 4 – Physical and medical examination.
- Step 5 – Final selection.
The first and foremost step is – registration. After registration, a candidate must appear for a basic selection test/aptitude test/entrance test. Such a test shall consist of subjects such as – English, technical questions (domain-specific) etc.
Candidates who manage to clear the preliminary test and invited to take part in the panel interview stage. The interview is carried out to gauge the overall personality and aptitude of the candidate. Panel interview is followed by a physical and medical test. The medical examination will be carried out by a DGS approved Doctor. Based on these tests, a final merit list will be made. Deserving candidates will obtain admission on the basis of their score/position in the merit list.
You may also check – List of marine engineering colleges in India
DNS training fees may vary from one institute to another. It depends upon factors such as – scholarship status of the student, rating of the college, location of the college etc. On an average, the fees could be anywhere between 300K to 600K INR.
What after completing DNS, some of you may ask. Earlier, I mentioned how DNS qualification can help you obtain a B.Sc. Degree in Nautical Science. Come, let us check out the ideal career path and find out the steps involved in the entire process –
Career path and tests
- Complete 1 year long DNS pre-sea training course.
- Complete 18 months sea training aboard a merchant navy ship.
- Obtain Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science from the IMU through distance learning program.
- Appear for Second Mate Examination and obtain the certificate.
- Obtain B.Sc. Degree in Nautical Science from IMU through distance learning.