Nautical Science courses helps one become Navigation Officer on Merchant Navy ships. We have already discussed in detail about B.Sc. Nautical Science course. Now it is time to check out another related course-Diploma in Nautical Science. It is a job oriented course that will help one build a career in Merchant Navy. Here, we will check out information about Diploma in Nautical Science course, such as- course details, eligibility criteria, physical and medical standards required, scope, job opportunities available after Graduation, salary details etc. In short, the course will be analyzed and reviewed in this article.
Article Overview and Contents
- Basic details about Diploma in Nautical Science course
- Eligibility Criteria
- Best DNS colleges in India –
- 1 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
- 2 Applied Research International, Delhi
- 3 Centre for Maritime Education and Training, Uttar Pradesh
- 4 Dr BR Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Port Blair
- 5 Haldia Institute of Maritime Studies and Research, West Bengal
- 6 IMU Campus, Kolkata
- 7 IMU, Navi Mumbai
- 8 IMU, Chennai
- 9 International Maritime Academy, Tamil Nadu
- 10 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- 11 Mumbai Maritime Training Institute, Maharashtra
- 12 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
- 13 Maritime Foundation, Tamil Nadu
- 14 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- 15 Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Tamil Nadu
- 16 Sriram Institute of Marine Studies, Delhi
- 17 TS Rahaman, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 18 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- 19 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
- 20 Yak Educational Trust, Maharashtra
- Scope, job opportunities, salary and review
Basic details about Diploma in Nautical Science course
It is a 1 year long Diploma course. The course trains candidates to take on the role of Navigation Officer on Merchant Navy ships. It also covers basics of Marine Technical Knowledge, Safety and Fire Prevention, Communication Skills etc.
Some important subjects covered in this course are-
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Science
- Navigation Chart Work
- Marine Electrical and Electronics
- Navigation Meteorology
- Communication Skills
- Shipping Commerce
- Maritime Laws
- Human Resource Management
Apart from theory classes, lab as well as workshop sessions are also present in Diploma in Nautical Science course.
The 1 year long course is usually divided into 2 semesters, with each semester lasting a period of 6 months. Let us check out the eligibility criteria details next-
Talking about admission process and eligibility criteria, there are three main things that are taken into consideration- Educational Qualifications, Physical and Medical standards and finally the age of the candidate. Let us focus on each of them in the following sections-
The minimum educational qualification required to pursue this course is 10+2 Science stream schooling with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subjects. Students should have passed 12th Board examination from a Recognized Board. Minimum marks criteria may exist and is generally around 50-60% marks in Board Examination.
B.Sc. Degree holders (subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) may also pursue this course. Minimum marks criteria may exist and is generally between 50-60% marks in final year of Degree program.
Engineering (B.E./B.Tech.) Graduates (any branch) may also pursue this course. Minimum marks criteria may exist and is generally between 50-60% marks in final year of Degree program. You may also check – IMU CET.
Physical and Medical Standards
Candidate should be Physically fit as per Merchant Shipping standards to take on sea faring role. Eyesight should be 6/6 on each eye (unaided vision). Candidate should not be suffering from color blindness or night blindness.
Candidate should not be more than 25 years of age at the time when the course starts.
Let us take a close look at DNS colleges and admission process in India –
Best DNS colleges in India –
1 Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
- Address: Khandpe, Kondiwade, Karjat, Raigad 410201, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02148226848
- Website: angloeasterncollege.com
2 Applied Research International, Delhi
- Address: D 150/S, D Block, Chhatarpur Extension, New Delhi 110074
- Contact number: 01146207100, 9811817220
- Website: ariedu.com
3 Centre for Maritime Education and Training, Uttar Pradesh
- Address: CMET Campus, Saraiyyan Bazar, NH 24, Off Sitapur Road, Bakshi Ka Talab, Lucknow Uttar Pradesh 227202
- Contact number: 05222735015/16
- Website: cmetlucknow.com
4 Dr BR Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Port Blair
- Address: Pahargaon, Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Contact number: 03192250267
- Website: –
5 Haldia Institute of Maritime Studies and Research, West Bengal
- Address: ICARE Complex, Marine Campus, Hatiberia, Haldia, Purba Medinipur, West Bengal 721657
- Contact number: 03224255275/267502
- Website: himsar.net
6 IMU Campus, Kolkata
- Address: IMU Campus, P 19, Taratala Road, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Contact number: 03324014673/76/78.
- Website: merical.ac.in.
- Address: IMU – Navi Mumbai Campus, TS Chanakya, Karave, Nerul, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra 400706.
- Contact number: 02227703876/27701935.
- Website: imunavimumbai.com
8 IMU, Chennai
- Address: IMU – Chennai Campus, East Coast Road, Uthandi, Chennai 600119, Tamil Nadu.
- Contact number: 04424530343/345.
- Website: imu.ac.in.
9 International Maritime Academy, Tamil Nadu
- Address: International Maritime Academy, 41, Jamin Korattur, Pudhuchatram, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 9176637100, 9176687200
- Website: imamaritime.com
10 International Maritime Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- Address: 13, Knowledge Park 1, Surajpur-Kasna Road, Greater Noida 201310, Uttar Pradesh
- Contact number: 9650657755
- Website: imi.edu.in
11 Mumbai Maritime Training Institute, Maharashtra
- Address: Kalote Rayati, Khalapur, Off NH 4, Raigad
- Contact number: 02192275091, 9370812044
- Website: mmti.co.in
12 MTI (Maritime Training Institute), Powai, Maharashtra
- Address: MTI, 52-C, Adi Shankaracharya Marg, Powai 400072, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 8657135535, 02235116015
- Website: mti.shipindia.com
13 Maritime Foundation, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 4/268, Thozhuvur, Kuppam, Sevapet, NH 716, Thiruvallur, Tamil Nadu 602025
- Contact number: 04427621193/94/95/96/97
- Website: maritime-foundation.com
14 Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- Address: Takwe Khurd, Mumbai Pune Highway, Lonavala, Pune 410405, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02114399500
- Website: samundra.com
15 Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Tamil Nadu
- Address: 108, East Madha Church Street, Royapuram, Chennai 600013, Tamil Nadu
- Contact number: 4442269050
- Website: samsmarine.org
16 Sriram Institute of Marine Studies, Delhi
- Address: Bamnoli, Sector 28, Dwarka, New Delhi 110077
- Contact number: 9990565959
- Website: simsnd.in
17 TS Rahaman, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Address: Jahaz Mahal Annexe, 170 K, Samander Point Estate, Opposite Lotus, Worli, Mumbai 400018, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 02224933324/24938740
- Website: tsrahaman.org
18 The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Maharashtra
- Address: 56, Tungarli Village, Opposite Lagoona Resort, Next to Perfect Engineering Works, Lonavala 410403, Pune, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 9595312126, 7620312127
- Website: geinstitute.com
19 Tolani Maritime Institute, Maharashtra
- Address: Tolani Maritime Institute, Talegaon-Chakan Road, Induri, Talegaon, Pune 410507, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 66960001/02/04/05/15/16/17
- Website: tmi.tolani.edu
20 Yak Educational Trust, Maharashtra
- Address: Hal Budruk, Khopoli, Raigad, Maharashtra
- Contact number: 2227580009
- Website: yakindia.com
Scope, job opportunities, salary and review
After completing Diploma in Nautical Science course, one may become a training cadet. After gaining 18 months of sea service period, one may appear for 2nd Mate Exam. After clearing it, one will be able to become 2nd Officer.
Also read: Hotel Management courses after 12th
After gaining further sea service period and appearing for further advanced tests, one may rise through Ranks and become Chief Officer. With time, it is very much possible to become a Captain too! Starting salary is generally between 30-40k Rupees per month. With each promotion, this figure will increase. Salary also depends on the profile of the employer.
If we review this course, we can observe that Diploma in Nautical Science is a very good, job oriented course. It will help one build a career in Merchant Navy sector. One may also take up job in Cruise ships as well. The pay package is decent and with promotions, things will only get better! Talking about fees, it varies from one Institute to another. It could be anywhere between 2,00,000 to 4,00,000 Rupees (2 semesters combined), depending upon the quality of the Institute.