Do you want to become an Air Hostess, Flight Attendant or Cabin Crew? If yes, this article will be of help to you. Here, we’ll have an in-depth analysis of Diploma in Air Hostess Training course. This article covers topics such as course details, eligibility criteria, colleges, admission, fees, syllabus, careers and salary.
Diploma in Air Hostess Training is a job oriented course. This course has been tailor-made for air hostess aspirants.
Students who have passed 10+2 are eligible to pursue this course. Eligibility criteria may vary from one institute to another though! If you want to check out an exhaustive list of air hostess courses, check out this guide – Air hostess courses in India.
Let us talk about the profession of air hostess. It is a glamorous and well paying profession. This profession is also known by other names such as – flight attendant and cabin crew.
This profession comes with additional perks like – the opportunity to travel around the world, chance to experience cuisine and culture around the world, free air travel etc. In short, it is a rewarding profession.
What’s Diploma in Air Hostess Training course all about? What’s the course content like? What’s it like to an air hostess? You will find answers to these questions in the next section.
Diploma in Air Hostess Training: Basic Details
As the name suggests, this course is all about air hostess training. This course trains students and turns them into air hostess material!
Even though 10+2 passed is the minimum eligibility to become an air hostess, many major airlines beg to differ! They prefer to recruit Graduates and Diploma holders, who have completed a relevant academic program!
This is when a course like Diploma in Air Hostess Training comes handy! This course trains students in areas related to cabin crew training. Thus, candidates will have a better chance of getting selected in interviews conducted by airlines!
According to laymen, airlines hire an air hostess to serve food and drinks to its passengers! Well, this fact is wrong! An air hostess’s duty is not just limited to serving drinks and food. Here are some of the main tasks performed by them –
- Taking care of in-flight announcements and inter department coordination.
- Ensuring safety of passengers.
- Ensuring comfort of passengers
- Helping passengers on board, assisting them with their luggage, seats etc
- Providing food, reading material, blankets and other such items to passengers
- Explaining safety procedures to passengers
- Assisting passengers during times of emergency/distress
Diploma in Air Hostess Training course trains students in the above mentioned areas. The academic program consists of classroom lectures and hands-on training sessions. The course trains students and turns them into skilled flight attendants!
Here are some of the traits/qualities you need to thrive in this profession –
- Smart and dynamic personality.
- Politeness and helping nature.
- Good communication skills.
- Fluency in foreign languages.
- Pleasant personality.
- Marital status- unmarried (not applicable in case of all airlines).
- Presence of mind and quick thinking.
- Leadership and team working capability.
Let us take a closer look at the course details. Here they are –
Diploma in Air Hostess Training: Course Details
Type of course
It is a Diploma training course.
Generally, the course duration is 1 year. Duration of the training program may vary from one institute to another.
Candidate should be between 17 to 25 years of age and unmarried.
Physical Standards (for male and female candidates)
- Minimum height requirement is 157 cm (for females) and 170 cm (for males). This requirement may differ from one airline to another.
- Weight of the candidate should be in proportion to his/her weight.
- Spotless skin complexion will give candidates an edge.
- Candidate has to be physically fit.
- Eyesight requirements- minimum eyesight requirement is 6/9. Many airlines allow candidates to correct eyesight and make it 20/20!
- Candidate shouldn’t have had history of mental illness in the past.
- Candidate should not be suffering from serious Cardiovascular disease.
There exists many Private private colleges and institutes across India, which offer this course. Most of such institutes caters to the needs of aviation sector.
Reputed institutes rely on merit based admission process. Such institutes make use of relevant entrance test to select deserving candidates. Some institutes are also known to conduct their own qualifying test in order to select deserving candidates.
Some other institutes are also known to conduct direct as well as donation based admission process.
Fees charged for the academic program may vary from one institute to another. Course fees depends upon the following factors –
- Type of institute (Government, Private, Aided etc)
- Location of the college
- Status and rating of the college
- Scholarship status (of student, if applicable)
Average fees in private colleges could be anywhere between 70-150K INR.
- Aircraft familiarization
- Airport familiarization
- Passenger handling
- Passenger psychology
- Flight evaluation
- In-flight procedures
- Emergency situation handling
- Food & catering services
- Personality development
- Communication skills
- Leadership and inter department coordination
- First aid
- Grooming and presentation
- Technical training (basic Aircraft functions, safety procedures etc)
Career prospects and Job opportunities
After completing the training, candidates may start applying for air hostess interviews and recruitment. After clearing the selection process (conducted by the airline), one may get placed as an air hostess/flight attendant/cabin crew!
Here are some of the notable recruiters –
- Air India
- Jet Airways
- Virgin Atlantic
- Emirates Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
In the above mentioned airlines, one may don the following roles –
- Flight attendant
- Senior Flight Attendant
- Cabin Crew Member
- Air Hostess
Salary of an Air Hostess depends on a number of factors such as- type of Airlines (Government operated/Private/Domestic/International), work experience, profile of the institute (from which course has been pursued) etc.
Domestic airlines pay very less in comparison to international airlines. When it comes to Government carrier, the pay will be based on the Grade pay guidelines. Generally, in case of domestic airlines, starting salary is in the region of 20-40k Rupees per month. Starting salary in case of international airlines is generally around 50k rupees per month or more. Please note that the above mentioned salary figures are revised by the authorities periodically and are thus subjected to change!
Also read: Aviation courses
With experience, salary will rise. After retiring, Air Hostesses may take up relevant Ground Duty jobs such as- ticketing, customer care, front desk operations etc.