BDS application in Tamil Nadu is around the corner. Do you want to become a dentist? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve listed down some of the best dental colleges in Tamil Nadu.
Both students and parents may use this guide as reference material. Here, you will find the names of dental colleges in the state. Apart from the names of colleges, you will also find relevant dental courses, their duration, eligibility criteria and admission process.
There exists different types of dental colleges and courses in Tamil Nadu. BDS is the course that comes to our mind while talking about dental education. But it is not the only dental course though. You will find more about it in this post.
Each year, thousands of students apply for various dental courses (UG and PG levels). Only a handful of them manage to bag a Government seat. Why do students prefer Government colleges over aided and private colleges, you may ask.
The main reason responsible for this is – Government colleges charge very low tuition fees. In the next section, we will find out more details about the different types of dental colleges in TN –
Different types of dental colleges
Based on the entity that owns the college, dental colleges in TN can be classified into the following types –
- Government dental colleges
- Private dental colleges
- Aided dental colleges
As the name suggests, Government dental colleges are managed and funded by the state Government. The Government, through a body/organization, manages aspects such as funding, recruitment, administration and planning. Government bears all the expense associated with these colleges. As a result, these colleges charge very low tuition fees. This is the main reason why students prefer Government colleges over aided and private colleges.
Aided colleges are private colleges. These colleges receive partial funding from the Government. Private colleges are also known as self financing colleges. They are owned and funded by private charitable trusts and organizations.
In the next section, you will find more details about different types of pharmacy courses available in TN –
Types of pharmacy courses in TN
In TN, pharmacy courses are available at the following levels –
- UG level
- PG level
- Doctoral level
UG level stands for undergraduate level. BDS is the most popular UG level dental education program. PG level stands for postgraduate level. MDS is the most popular PG level dental education program. PG Diploma programs too are PG level programs.
Doctoral Degree courses are research based programs. Example is – PhD.
Here’s everything you need to know about BDS course –
BDS is an undergraduate level dental course. BDS stands for Bachelor of Dental Surgery. Students who have passed 12th Science with PCB subjects are eligible to pursue this course. The course duration is five years. The academic program also consists one year long internship program.
Let us check out the list of dental colleges in TN now. Here they are –
List of dental colleges in Tamil Nadu 2021
Here are some of the popular dental colleges in Tamil Nadu –
- Tamil Nadu Government Dental College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Rajas Dental College, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
- Sri Mookambigai Dental College, Kulasekaram, Tamil Nadu
- Ragas Dental College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Adhiparasakthi Dental College, Melmaruvathur, Tamil Nadu
- Best Dental College, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Chettinadu Dental College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- CSI Dental College, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- KSR Dental College, Thiruchengod, Tamil Nadu
- Karpaga Vinayaka Dental College, Chinnakolambakkam, Tamil Nadu
- Priyadharshini Dental College, Thiruvallur, Tamil Nadu
- Sri Ramakrishna Dental College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Venkateswara Dental College, Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu
- Tagore Dental College, Vandalur, Tamil Nadu
- Vivekananda Dental College, Thiruchengodu, Tamil Nadu
- RVS Dental College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- JKK Nataraja Dental College and Hospital, Namakkal, Tamil Nadu
- Madha Dental College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Asan Memorial Dental College, Kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu
How to secure admission, you may ask. Here’s everything you need to know about the admission process.
In order to secure admission into the above mentioned institutes, you must appear for relevant dental entrance exam. These exams are conducted at state, National and college levels. You must score valid marks in these exams.
Seats are distributed among deserving candidates in the basis of merit marks scored by them in relevant entrance exam and/or board examination. Some colleges are also known to conduct direct and donation based admission process.