B.V.Sc. & A.H. stands for Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry. In this article, we will have an in-depth analysis of this course. We will check out basic course details, eligibility criteria, course duration, important subjects present in the course, scope and job opportunities after graduation. Students hailing from 12th Science Biology group, who are interested in animals, their welfare and treatment, may choose this course. After graduation, students will get the title of Doctor. Come, let us get started-
B.V.Sc. & A.H.- Basic course details
Basically, this course trains students to carry out medical treatment of animals and birds suffering from diseases. This course trains students to diagnose diseases in animals and birds, prescribe medicines and other surgical solutions etc.
Talking about the course, it is a 5 years long Undergraduate Degree program. Students are taught important subjects like Animal Anatomy, Physiology, Animal Diseases and Animal Nutrition etc. The list of subjects is pretty long. Why not take a look at the list of important subjects so that we can understand the course in a much better way?
B.V.Sc. & A.H. syllabus and important subjects
I’ll be listing only the important subjects so that readers may get a basic idea about what the syllabus will be like.
- Veterinary Anatomy
- Veterinary Physiology
- Veterinary Histology
- Veterinary Biochemistry
- Applied Anatomy
- Veterinary Biotechnology
- Veterinary Pharmacology
- Veterinary Neuropharmacology
- Veterinary Chemotherapy
- Veterinary Toxicology
- Veterinary Protozoology
- Veterinary Microbiology
- Veterinary Immunology
- Veterinary Bacteriology and Virology
- Veterinary Pathology
- Animal, Birds and Aquatic animal diseases
- Animal Healthcare Management
- Veterinary Epidemiology
- Animal Nutrition
- Applied Nutrition
- Animal Genetics
- Livestock Breeding and Management
- Poultry Breeding and Management
- Milk and Meat products and their Hygiene
- Food Product Technology
- Veterinary Gynaecology
- Veterinary Obstetrics
- Veterinary Reproduction Techniques
- Veterinary Diagnostics
- Veterinary Surgery
- Veterinary Clinical and Preventive Medicines
- Pet Animal management and healthcare
- Ethics and Animal Welfare
Those were some important subjects present in B.V.Sc. & A.H. program. Most of the subjects mentioned above are recurring ones and will be present in more than one semester. Also, along with theoretical subjects, Clinical Practice, Lab Diagnostics, Surgery practical etc are also given much importance.
It is evident from the above list of subjects that this program teaches students to diagnose diseases in animals and birds, deal with preventive and clinical medicines, use surgical procedures if necessary, livestock and poultry management etc.
10+2 Science (Biology Group) stream students, with Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects, who have cleared 12th board examinations from a recognized Board are eligible to apply for this course. You may also check – Science courses in India.
Minimum 50% mark is required in the above mentioned subjects to be considered eligible to pursue this course. Relaxations in minimum marks are provided to SC/ST and OBC category students.
Also, students must have appeared for State or National Level entrance tests to be considered eligible.
B.V.Sc. & AH Colleges in India
Here’s a list of popular B.V.Sc. & AH colleges in India –
- College of Veterinary and Animal Science, Udgir, Maharashtra
- College of Veterinary and Animal Science, Parbhani, Maharashtra
- Bombay Veterinary College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Nagpur Veterinary College, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Maharashtra Animal and Fishery Sciences University, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Junagadh, Gujarat
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Anand, Gujarat
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Banaskantha, Gujarat
- Anand Agricultural University, Anand, Gujarat
- College of Veterinary Science, Karimnagar, Telangana
- College of Dairy Technology, Nizamabad, Telangana
- College of Veterinary Science, Ranga Reddy, Telangana
- College of Fishery Science, Karimnagar, Telangana
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Madras Veterinary College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Veterinary College, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Veterinary College, Shimoga, Karnataka
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Thrissur, Kerala
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Pookode, Kerala
- Khalsa College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Amritsar, Punjab
- Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Bikaner, Rajasthan
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Udaipur, Rajasthan
Scope and Job Opportunities
After Graduation, one may join Government/Private veterinary hospital and start working as a Veterinary Doctor or Surgeon. Also, one may start own clinic and start practice, for example- pet care clinic. NGOs working for Animal welfare causes also hires Veterinary Science graduates.
Graduates may work as research professionals in the field of Animal health and medicines. Also, one may work at places like- Poultry farms, Livestock farms, Zoos etc. One may also work in the Pharmacy sector that deals with veterinary medicines and vaccines.
Food Processing Industries also hires Veterinary Science graduates to take care of Quality control, Livestock healthcare and Livestock management activities.