BAMS is the most popular ayurveda course in Kerala. In this post, I’ve listed down some of the best colleges offering this course in Kerala. Here, you will find the names of best ayurveda colleges, relevant courses, duration, eligibility criteria and admission process.
Students who have passed 12th Science with PCB subjects have many options available in front of them. MBBS, BDS, Nursing etc are some of the popular options. They also have access to courses that deal with alternative medicine systems.
BAMS is one such course related to alternative medicine system. BAMS stands for Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery. This course can help you become a Doctor (Ayurveda Medicine).
Before heading to the meat of the matter – list of ayurveda colleges in Kerala – let us check out some basic details about this profession. Here’s everything you need to know –
Ayurveda: Basic details
As mentioned before, it is an alternative system of medicine. Ayurveda is a Sanskrit word. It means the knowledge of life and longevity.
Ayurveda primarily uses a combination of diet, herbal treatment and yogic breathing to treat illnesses.
In order to become an ayurveda Doctor in India, you must possess certain educational qualification and certification. BAMS course can help you acquire the title of Doctor (Ayurveda).
Apart from BAMS, there also exists other courses related to ayurveda such as B.Pharm. (Ayurveda) and Diploma in Ayurvedic Medicine.
Ayurveda Doctors are professionals who deal with ayurvedic system of medicine. They use this system of medicine to treat illnesses in patients. Apart from that, they also are capable of handling the rehabilitation of patients.
Many consider ayurveda to be a pseudoscience. On the other hand, many consider it to be protoscience. Ayurveda has its takers and fans.
For many people, it is a way of life. Ayurveda is well known for its absence of side-effects. This is one of the main reasons responsible for its popularity.
In the next section, you will find out more details about BAMS course, the most popular ayurveda course available in Kerala –
BAMS: Course Details
BAMS stands for Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery. It is an undergraduate level Bachelor’s Degree course. The academic program is 5½ years long. One year of the academic program is dedicated towards compulsory internship stint.
Students who have passed 12th Science (Biology group) are eligible to pursue this course. In the next section, you will find more details about the different types of ayurveda colleges in Kerala –
Types of ayurveda colleges in Kerala
Depending on the entity that owns and manages the college, ayurveda colleges in Kerala can be classified into the following types –
- Government ayurveda colleges
- Aided ayurveda colleges
- Private ayurveda colleges
Government colleges are owned and managed by the state Government. Government manages aspects such as administration, funding, recruitment etc. This is the main reason why these colleges charge low tuition fees.
Aided colleges are private colleges. These colleges receive partial funding from the Government. Private colleges are also known as self financing colleges. They charge relatively higher fees. This is because of the fact that these colleges are funded and owned by private charitable trusts and organizations.
Let us check out the list of colleges now. Here it is –
List of ayurveda colleges in Kerala 2021
Here are some of the popular ayurveda colleges in Kerala –
- Ayurveda College, Pariyaram, Kannur, Kerala
- Vaidyaratnam PS Varier Ayurveda College, Malappuram, Kerala
- Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College, Thrissur, Kerala
- Ayurveda College, Ernakulam, Kerala
- Ayurveda College, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Ahalia Ayurveda Medical College, Palakkad, Kerala
- Ashtamgam Ayurveda Chikilsalayam and Vidyapeedham, Palakkad, Kerala
- KMCT Ayurveda College, Kozhikode, Kerala
- Mannam Ayurveda Co-Operative Medical College, Pandalam, Kerala
- Nangelil Ayurveda Medical College, Kothamangalam, Kerala
- Pankajakasthuri Ayurveda Medical College and PG Centre, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- PNNM Ayurveda Medical College, Palakkad, Kerala
- PN Panicker Souhruda Ayurveda Medical College, Kanhangad, Kerala
- Parassinikadavu Ayurveda Medical College, Kannur, Kerala
- Santhigiri Ayurveda Medical College, Palakkad, Kerala
- Sree Narayana Institute of Ayurvedic Studies and Research, Kollam, Kerala
- Vishnu Ayurveda College, Palakkad, Kerala
Let us find out more details about the admission process. In the next section, you will find everything you need to know about the admission process –
If you want to secure admission into reputed private colleges and government colleges, you must take part in relevant entrance examination. You must also secure valid marks in this exam.
In merit based admission process, seats are distributed among deserving candidates on the basis of merit marks scored by them in relevant entrance exam and/or board exam. Some colleges are also known to conduct donation based admission process.