Do you want to become an architect? If yes, this post will be of help to you. Here, I’ve listed down some of the best architecture colleges in Gujarat. Both students and parents may use this guide to find the right college.
Architecture is a popular choice among Indian students. They have access to UG, PG and Doctoral Degree architecture programs. It is not uncommon to see 12th Science students applying for architecture admission.
In this post, you will find the names of popular architecture colleges in Gujarat. Apart from the names of colleges, you will also find relevant data such as – architecture courses, duration, eligibility and admission process.
The main aim of this post is to educate and inform you about architecture education in Gujarat. Courses, colleges, admission process – this post covers all important topics.
This post will simplify the admission process. Before securing admission into any architecture college, you must take a look at factors such as –
- Quality of infrastructure
- Quality of faculty
- Placement assistance
- Rating and reputation
- Recognition status
- Overall reviews
Before heading to the meat of the matter – list of architecture colleges in Gujarat – let us check out more about this profession. What is architecture all about? What is it like to become an architect? What’s the scope and potential associated with this profession?
You will find answers to these questions in the next section. Let us start –
Architecture: The Profession
Architecture is a discipline that deals with the design, planning, development and construction of built environment. Built environment consists of homes, buildings, commercial complexes, bridges, dams and other man-made structures.
Architecture consists of elements of civil engineering, construction technology, planning, project management etc. Here are some of the main tasks performed by an architect –
- Planning of built environment
- Design of built environment
- Construction of built environment
- Project management
- Cost estimation
- And more…
In order to thrive in this sector, you must possess qualities such as –
- Design skills
- Planning skills
- Technical knowledge
- Management skills
- And more…
In order to become an architect in India, you must possess relevant academic qualification and Degree. In Gujarat, different types of architecture colleges are available. Let us check them out –
Based on the academic level, architecture courses in India can be classified into the following types –
- UG level
- PG level
- Doctoral Degree
UG stands for undergraduate level. PG stands for postgraduate level. Doctoral Degree programs are research oriented academic programs.
Based on the course format, architecture courses can be classified into the following types –
- Diploma course
- Bachelor’s Degree course
- Master’s Degree course
- PG Diploma course
- PG Certificate course
- Doctoral Degree course
Diploma in Architectural Assistantship is a Diploma certificate program. Students who have passed 10th class are eligible to pursue this course. The training program is 3 years long.
B.Arch. is the most popular architecture course in India. It stands for Bachelor of Architecture. It is an undergraduate level Bachelor’s Degree course. Students who have passed 12th class with PCM subjects are eligible to apply for admission.
M.Arch. is a Master’s Degree course. Students who have completed B.Arch. are eligible to apply for admission. The academic program is 2 years long. It is a PG level course.
PhD and M.Phil. are Doctoral Degree courses. These are research oriented programs. Candidates who have completed M.Arch. or possess an equivalent qualification are eligible to pursue this course.
Types of architecture colleges
There exists three main types of architecture colleges in Gujarat –
- Government architecture colleges
- Aided architecture colleges
- Private architecture colleges
Government colleges, as the name suggests, are managed by the state Government. Everything related to these colleges – funding, recruitment, admission, administration – is managed by the Government.
Private or self financing colleges are managed and owned by private charitable trusts and organizations. Aided colleges are private institutes. But they receive partial funding and support from the Government.
Let us check out the list of colleges now. Here it is –
List of architecture colleges in Gujarat 2019
Here are some of the popular architecture colleges in Gujarat –
- Faculty of Architecture, CEPT University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Anant Institute of Architecture, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Institute of Architecture, Nirma University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- LJ School of Architecture, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- SAL School of Architecture, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Alpha Institute of Architecture Studies, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Venus Institute of Design and Architecture, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Institute of Design Environment and Architecture, Kalol, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Kalol Institute of Architecture and Design, Kalol, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Noble Architecture College, Junagadh, Gujarat
- Institute of Architecture, HNGU, Mehsana, Gujarat
- Institute of Architecture, Ganpat University, Mehsana, Gujarat
- Raman Bhakta School of Architecture, Mahuva, Gujarat
- Institute of Architecture, Marwadi University, Rajkot, Gujarat
- IP School of Architecture, Rajkot, Gujarat
- Gokul College of Architecture and Design, Siddhpur, Gujarat
- AAERT and SSB Faculty of Architecture, Surat, Gujarat
- Bhagwan Mahavir College of Architecture, Surat, Gujarat
- Mahavir Swami College of Architecture, Surat, Gujarat
- PP Savani School of Architecture, Surat, Gujarat
- GCPIA, Surat, Gujarat
- Vidya Mandir College of Architecture for Women, Surat, Gujarat
- Department of Architecture, MSU, Vadodara, Gujarat
- ITM School of Architecture, Art and Design, Vadodara, Gujarat
- Parul Institute of Architecture and Research, Vadodara, Gujarat
- School of Architecture, Vadodara Design Academy, Vadodara, Gujarat
- School of Design and Architecture, Navrachna University, Vadodara, Gujarat
- Laxmi Institute of Architecture, Valsad, Gujarat
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Architecture, Vasad, Gujarat
- DC Patel School of Architecture, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat
- SMP School of Studies and Research in Architecture and Interior Design, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat
In order to secure admission into reputed architecture colleges, one must crack relevant architecture entrance exam. These exams are conducted at state, National and College levels. Seats are distributed among deserving candidates on the basis of merit marks scored by them in relevant entrance exam. Some colleges are also known to carry out donation based admission process.